Friday, December 7, 2007

Second Christmas Tradition


Try as I might, I could not get a clear picture of this little menagerie. These are our Christmas sashes. Each of the children has one. I had one in elementary school one year (my teacher made them for us) and it left such a deep impression of the suspense of Christmas, that I had to make them for our children.

Each felt sash has 25 green yard pieces hot-glued to it. There's a bell at the bottom, and a little verse on the top instructing the child to each a piece of candy each day in December, until he gets to the bell; then it will be Christmas! Even our almost-17 year old still does this, and remembers to eat his Tootsie Roll each morning. You see that when I made Julia's (well after the others, since she was born a number of years later), I never got around to gluing the poem on hers. She only cares about the candy anyway :)

When I made these, I didn't have any perfect dowels to put at the top, to stiffen the top edge and attach the cord to. So I used old pencils. It makes them hokey and home-spun (as usual, for our family) but I think a little unique.

Each year, the children remind me after Thanksgiving, "Mom, you've got to get the candy for the sashes, remember?"

No comments: