Sunday, October 1, 2017

Painting and Poetry

For the Autumn Journal ~

I may use this as the background photo for my next blog banner:

A new poem for today, as a feel of autumn is finally in the air.
I painted it first, and then traced it lightly with pencil,
but it's still difficult to read.
(So I've typed it underneath.)

So here it is, typed out for you to read more easily:


The Golden Cry

Without the sun and shadow both,
The dappled light would not delight.
I watch it flicker on the wall
As afternoon fades into night.

The midday of my life is here
And dusk is clipping on its heels.
This Autumn is my favorite time
Of shadows stretched on yellow fields.

O, lengthen all the Autumn days!
Expand the years of quiet peace -
Now hold me, Love! I hear above,
The insistent calling of the geese.

14 comments:

Marcie said...

Your poem is just beautiful. My heart felt every word. Also, your painting would make a fantastic blog header.

melissa said...

Love, love, love the teacup!!!

Granny Marigold said...

I love the tea cup and the flowers!! The poem is so evocative; especially the lines "the midday of my life is here And dusk is clipping on its heels." I'm approaching the evening of my life and feel much the same.

Gumbo Lily said...

Excellent work both in poetry and art. A cup of tea is very fall-esque.
God bless.

M.K. said...

Thank you so much, Marcie! It's nice, after writing a poem, to know that it did communicate. I sometimes wonder if it "works." Thanks :)

M.K. said...

Thank you, Melissa!

M.K. said...

Thank you so much. I've struggled with my poems lately, but finally this one seemed to work for me. I do love Autumn.

M.K. said...

Thank you, Jody.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a moving poem and lovely watercolor!

FlowerLady

Carol Blackburn said...

Hi M.K., lovely poem you've shared and glad you did. Your watercolors have great country charm and style. So pleasing. I wish you a beautiful day.

Lisa Richards said...

Oh, yes. This poem describes our time of life very well. I'm loving the years of quiet peace! Writing with a paint brush is really hard! The paintings are beautiful and I love all the tiny details. Happy painting and writing to you!

Kezzie said...

This is a magnificent poem (and I love your painted font!) - what a great joy to read. I love your paintings too. x

GretchenJoanna said...

I am saving this one!! Just wonderful. I feel the same way: "O lengthen all the autumn days!" <3

Anonymous said...

Savedd as a favorite, I love your web site!