Tuesday, April 24, 2018

YooHoo!!! What's New?

Hi, friends. It's been a soggy, dreary, rainy, windy day at our house. Even the chickens have hardly been outside. Some alpaca fleece was spun, some naps were taken, some strawberry jam was made.
 That jam was about the extent of my productivity today.
My lovely yellow rose bush is blooming! (Actually, this was yesterday. Today they are drooping in the rain.) I enjoy these blooms each year.
 The massive, prickly rose bush is finally blooming too.
 Itty bitty blooms:
 I attacked the aphids on that bush quite fiercely with a spray bottle of dish soap. I mashed them into a green goo.
Want to see the treasure I found at the thrift store?
 Yes, a basket. I know ... I don't need another basket. But it's a nice basket with a fabric liner and a plastic liner too. And it was marked $1, but was half-off, so it only cost me 50 cents.
 And the best part?
 For reals! I was so excited!
Look what Adam found buried deep in one of our crepe myrtle trees:
 They're tiny. He said a little brown bird (maybe a wren?) was sitting on them later.

My broody silkie hen now has her sister silkie co-broodying with her, just like last time. This time they have seven eggs. They hiss at me every time I look at them. I'm not moving those eggs this week, and they're due to hatch next Monday. I will be out of town, so Adam will have to play OB/GYN to the baby chicks :)

I'm still painting my mice story.
Now I'm painting the double-page illustration of all the mice extended family enjoying Thanksgiving dinner on the kitchen floor. Nearly done with this book!

Last but not least, here's one more youtube video of me, warping my loom. It was hard to video well without a tripod, so please bear with me. And as usual, the camera cut off at the end when I wanted only to pause it. Oh well!

This weekend I drive all the way to Mississippi to be with Anna for her first ever bridal shower! (I'm so, so excited!!) I will stop in Chattanooga and pick up Kara. Oh how I wish I could dash to Boston and get Shani, and zip by West Virginia and Nebraska too and bring along my mother and Adam's mother. We all live just too far away from each other. But we will all be together for the wedding soon! Anyway, I'll take pictures (and maybe a video?) along the way, and share the fun with all of you.

7 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

I got in the nap, but haven't been very productive either. Well, I did take a short walk. Drive carefully and enjoy the shower.

Granny Marigold said...

Okay, so I looked up Longaberger Baskets and now I realize what a treasure you got for fifty cents!!! I must admit I'd never heard of them before. To me that basket looks like the kind one would take shopping in the "old days" before we carried quilted reusable bags.

I love that Mrs. Mouse has a cousin Marigold. Too cute.

We're still enjoying Grantchester. Season 2 now. I'm reading Sidney Chambers and the Persistence of Love. Halfway through the book and it's not as interesting as I had hoped.
Have a safe trip. I'm assuming it's a long drive. Watch for idiot drivers along the way. ((hugs)

Henny Penny said...

Sounds to me like you got a lot done on the wet dreary day. It rained here all day yesterday, and was chilly and very windy. I love the basket! and fifty cents! What a find! Have a safe trip to Mississippi...that's a lot of driving. I know you will enjoy it all.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your basket was a wonderful 'find'. Good for you.

Your strawberry jam looks delicious!

Have a safe trip and enjoy the bridal shower. That is so exciting.

Happy Spring ~ FlowerLady

happyone said...

The yellow roses are so pretty.
I thought it was a longaberger basket before you told us. Great find!! I have quite a few of them myself.
Strawberry Jam - yummy my favorite.

Carol Blackburn said...

Wow, your Longaberger basket was a steal at that price, for sure. I sold miniatures on Ebay for average $20. each. I love yellow roses, white tulips and daisies. Such varied taste in flowers. Looks like your book is coming to an end. Such a sweet thing, it is. The weekend will be here before you know it. Enjoy the bridal shower and I wish you safe travels.

GretchenJoanna said...

Lots of eggs around your place - that picture of the wild bird's eggs is so dear. And I always think a broody hen THE most homey and natural and old-fashioned thing anyone could have...

XO