Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Good Reading Ahead of the Rain

 After nearly two weeks of dry weather, on Sunday the rain began. I snapped a few shots outdoors before it truly began to descend.
 I knew those zinnias would be trampled by days of downpours, so I snipped as many as I could before the heavy drops began to pelt me.
 I was inspired to dash outside with my camera by Henny Penny and her flowers.
Here are my marigolds. I sprinkled some seeds there in early spring and forgot about them.
 They've been beautiful for a month now.
Adam got a trenching tool and has been digging a good barrier around our beds to keep weeds out.
 That bed must be the most pitiful; it has only a eucalyptus tree that dies back each winter.
In another bed is a volunteer, spreading vigorously.
 We finally discovered it is a gourd!
 And speaking of stripey things, this little fellow is looking adorable as ever. He is still an only child. 
 Upon examination of the wings, I think there's a good chance it's a she !!

Of course, the bed in the garden where I carefully planted gourd seeds that I'd bought, is producing nothing yet.
 Sunflowers are tall but not blooming yet.
 Loofahs are only just getting going with their growth. We have a long ways yet until we get fruit from them.
 Loofah blooms curl up when the sun goes away, as it's doing in this stormy weather.
 I'm still getting tomatoes, but they're not fabulous.
 I picked the first pepper!
 The cucumber vines are saying, "May we please be done now?"
 This terrible-looking plant is a tomato volunteer from last fall that I over-wintered on the front porch and put back into the garden in the spring. Recently I hacked it back.
 Poor thing. It's certainly given its all. The dry weather though, has made our tomatoes wretched.

Since the rain started, I've been reading. First I read John Masefield's The Box of Delights. Kezzie, I recall you loved that book as a child ... or perhaps the BBC adaptation? I enjoyed it very much. Now I move onto an earlier book by Masefield about the same boy, Kay Harker, The Midnight Folk.
I'm already liking it a lot. I've been a little under the weather the last couple of days, so resting and reading are the doctor's orders.

When I was a girl coming home after school, I remember my mother usually sitting in a comfy wing-back chair, reading a book. She is an avid reader. She also did a good bit of flower gardening (no veggies though), but I believe those were her only two hobbies. She kept a comfortable home and cooked quite well for the family. She went to the grocery store each Friday and prepared her Bible study lesson each month. Generally speaking (to my girl's eye), that's what my mother did.

With that good example, why do I have this constant urge to be Doing Something? If I accomplish all my house chores, I feel a slight sense of panic at running out of Something to Do. If I'm too tired (as I've been these two days) to do energetic tasks, I feel downright guilty. If it's raining outside, prohibiting garden chores, I eventually get this pestering notion in my head that I should be Looking for a Job. 

... All because I am not skilled at being content, as my mother was, with sitting in a chair and reading a book -- after having tended adequately to the house and laundry, and raised the children into some semblance of adulthood. Most of mine are past the semblance and are downright Grown Up.

I am taking up reading again as a result of this pondering. I've been a lax reader, but now I shall return to reading for leisure each day, in those quiet hours. 

Do you ladies (or gents) have thoughts on this? Were your mothers such? How about you? 

Oh -- and I want to start up a book-sending system soon. I'm amassing a few books that I've enjoyed, but will not read again, and they're in good shape. I'm happy to ship them to anybody who would like one. If you can reimburse me for shipping, that's great, but if not, it's okay. Here are the three I have available so far:

Elizabeth Gaskell's The Life of Charlotte Bronte
Elizabeth Goudge's The White Witch
Elspeth Huxley's Gallipot Eyes

Leave a comment if you'd like one of those; first comment, first served :) But I don't know why we can't all just keep passing them around until they light on someone's shelf who longs to keep them forever.




13 comments:

Pom Pom said...

I know. It's hard sometimes to resist the urgent habit of do, do, do. Maybe practice for a few days. Write some back and forth dialogue to address the guilt monster.

Granny Marigold said...

I'm sorry you're feeling under the weather. Take it easy, drink lots of your tea, read and hopefully soon you'll feel better.
I don't mind housework but tend to get it done as quickly as I can so I can read or sit outside on the porch swing. No feelings of guilt on that issue.
I've decided to go through all my childrens books and try to read at least one a day. Some obviously will take a bit longer and the ones with lovely illustrations I will take the time to really appreciate.

melissa said...

I tend to be a sitter, but my husband is busy all the time. I just can't. Get worn out so quickly. I admire all that gets done with active folks, but Gary has had to learn that I can't keep up.

Have you taken Ian Cron's enneagram test online? That helped me understand myself more, plus realizing my INFJ personality type with another test. Maybe I'm more forgiving of myself, expect less.

Btw, have read the book on Bronte. Loved it!

Carol Blackburn said...

Hello M.K. I was wondering if everything in your garden will come to fruition all at once and you will have a real bounty. I gave up on gardening after the year I got one cherry tomato on my tomato plant. My green peppers were the size of golf balls, not even tennis balls. Just don't have a green thumb, I guess.

M.K. said...

Carol, our temps get so hot in late July and August that it's normal each year for gardens to just wither away and give up the ghost. Even veggies can't handle it, and my herbs also begin to dry and fade. Just life in the South! Considering our awful weather this summer, I'm okay with what we've gotten. Plus, neither Adam nor I has really been "on our game" this year -- too much going on that has drained us emotionally, and made it hard to work as we normally might.

M.K. said...

I'm also an INFJ (or an INFP - I forget which), and it's been helpful every time I take that test as a reminder of how introverted I am, and how I relate to others. It taught me that my "view" of myself, and my real self, were quite different. I do want to learn how to just sit and rest.

M.K. said...

That's a wonderful reading goal! I have so many kids' books. I should do the same. I took your advice about drinking my herbal tea. I'm on the mend.

M.K. said...

I am practicing now for day 3. I plan to be mindful about this.

GretchenJoanna said...

I'd like to have Gallipot Eyes, if no one else has requested it.

It's fascinating the lifestyles that make people happy. You and your mother are unique individuals, that's the bottom line. It's not that you don't love reading, but you have a more eager or consuming creative urge, while her hobbies were more easygoing. At least, not knowing either of you ;-) that's my take.

GretchenJoanna said...

Oh, and your zinnias!! I have NO zinnias this year and it's a teeny bit sad, but I don't think about it much, since I have such a lot of pretty stuff to look at. There is something about zinnias, though, that is particularly exemplary and cheering...

Carolyn said...

I love Elizabeth Goudge! And she is hard to find.

Henny Penny said...

Thank you MK! With the trouble I have growing flowers, I am touched that my little patch of zinnias inspired you. :) Oh, I can relate to your feeling of always needing to be doing something. Mama used to say, talking to us children, "you all get up from there and get busy, I see your daddy coming in". Even today, I feel guilty sitting down in the living room, no matter how hard I've worked all day. It makes me angry at myself. You do so much!

Kezzie said...

I am so glad you love th John Masefield books. I love all the poetry in them- of course he was a poet- he wrote Sea Fever I think!
Your flowers are beautiful and all the produce, even the flagging ones.
My Mum has LOADs of growth for her gourds but only 3 fruit so far!
My Courgettes have FiNALLY got female flowers and embryo courgettes!
I love Elizabeth Goudge!