Sunday, September 16, 2018

Into the Misty Mountains

My family has ensured that I have some fun this past week while waiting out the hurricane in West Virginia. On Thursday, my mother treated me and my sister-in-law, Ann, to lunch at The Greenbrier, a resort vacation destination since 1778. (Picture pre-Civil War wealthy debutantes visiting for the summer months to match-make for a beau.) I'll devote a whole post to that delightful time ... later. 

But here are some photos I snapped of our drive along hwy. 219, which runs north from Lewisburg, down and up -- but when it's up, it lifts you along a spine of the mountains, or perhaps it's along an elevated plateau above the Greenbrier River, with engaging views.








Lastly, a friend sent us three photos of our farm at 3:00 Friday, after Hurricane Florence had passed.

We are relieved -- it looks like our house did not have water damage, and even the house lot, if it flooded, had already receded. Considering the extensive flooding elsewhere in the county, we are amazed at this and thankful for your prayers and God's mercy to spare our property. Adam returned yesterday to inspect the house and begin to help neighbors who were not so spared as we were.

Yesterday, I drove to my brother's apple orchard in Hacker Valley, WVa. I'd never been there but heard it's a remote, magical place -- and it is. I spent the night there. Marshall and I couldn't think of a time ever, when we'd spent an undisturbed 24 hours together talking. It was great -- more on that visit later. Tomorrow I drive to Chattanooga, and then on to Mississippi to see Anna. When Adam gives me the "all clear" from home, I'll start planning my return to the coast of North Carolina. 

3 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

It's wonderful to see that your house looks as if it was spared any damage.
I'm not sure why sometimes my comments don't appear, even when I go back days later to check. In any case, know that I am reading your posts and keeping you in my thoughts.

melissa said...

So thankful you were spared. That would have been almost too hard to bear if you'd flooded.

Kezzie said...

I am so glad that your house was spared the damage- God is good!