Monday, October 15, 2018

Making a Rich Creative Space

I love my little studio. Each day that I'm able to come here and work/create, I try to make this small space as appealing to the senses as I can, so I find it happy and inspiring. The five senses are key.
I keep it visually appealing to me. I sit in front of a big window that looks out onto the farm pasture. From here, birds, squirrels, chickens, dogs, trees, sky, and sometimes my dear husband are all in view. The studio itself, while cluttered, is also dear to look at; all my creative tools are close at hand. One thing I avoid visually is the screen. I don't keep screen-savers rolling or videos playing while I'm trying to write/paint/sketch/work with yarn or do my soap business. Screens are not visually enriching to me.
I burn nice incense for scent.
Pandora is playing beautiful music (Christmas at present) in the background.
I often have tea or some little nibble at my elbow.
All the creative work I do is very tactile, and I don't do any work that I don't love touching.
This pattern of sensory satisfaction just occurred to me a moment ago ... I think. If I've written about it before and have forgotten about it, please tell me, haha! My memory is not the best :)
So if you want to be creative, be sure to give yourself the best possible opportunity with a rich sensory space. Even if all you do is sit there and enjoy how it smells, feels, looks, sounds, and tastes for the first few days, you'll be well on your way.

7 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Your little studio looks so cozy and inviting. You have many talents and the perfect spot to create whatever you're in the mood to create.

magsmcc said...

I aspire to your discipline, and your joy. I read A Room of One's Own so long ago now, but its challenges still haunt me!

Pom Pom said...

I think I have too many cozy creating spots and LOTS of piles of shtuff around me at the moment. I like your space!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Thanks for sharing more about your little studio. Mine is tiny, 6'x8', and right now it needs a bit of straightening up. What scent is your incense?

I listen to different instrumental music via you tube while I'm creating, or doing house work.

Happy living life ~ FlowerLady

Henny Penny said...

Oh, I love this! I love your little studio! You make me want to add something to my little sewing room. I had forgotten about this, but I used to have one of those metal rings that fit on a light bulb in a lamp. I would add a few drops of one of those good smelling oils. I'll never remember the name but it was from Crabtree & Evelyn. It was wonderful. That's exactly what I need! Thank you for reminding me. Don't we all need our own little space!

Lisa Richards said...

I love your creative space. And it's beginning to feel like tea time!
I wish I could do without the screen, but I'm still hung up on using reference photos for everything and my photos are on my laptop! I'll break free one day. ;)

Kezzie said...

What a joy to share your creative space! I have tended to have a screen with something to watch when I am making something but perhaps I need to switch off like you. xx