Tuesday, September 24, 2019

I Have Been Remiss ~

That's a phrase my parents would occasionally use, "I have been remiss ..." in doing whatever duty they had neglected. I have been remiss in blogging.

At last the outdoors don't feel like a furnace set to "high." Now it's simply hot. Each day reaches the mid-80s. I'm ready for the next break in the weather, when our highs will be in the low 70s. That's my favorite weather.

We had stopped tending the garden. I assumed the okra was finished. I don't know much about okra. I visited the garden yesterday and found some okra too big/old to eat (and threw them into the grass), but many were fine.
I'll try to go pick them every other day, so they are small, until they stop producing. Okra are hard workers. We'll plant them again next year. Adam fried some the other night that we'd frozen before, and they were fabulous -- much, much better than any from a restaurant.
I've been painting a lot of cards, and sold quite a few lately too. I won't share them all here, but here are a couple. A friend requested some beach/water scenes.



I dropped in at the thrift store yesterday and found two treasures. Books were half-off, so they were 50 cents each.
I love both these authors. I've started Rosemary Verey's book already; she's a famous English gardener. I turned straight to "September" to read what she thinks about this time of year. I'm sorry to report that I'm utterly bored with both the Elizabeth Goudge books I'm trying to read. I know it doesn't seem possible -- The Child from the Sea and Island Magic have both failed to hold my attention. I'm still trying. She was prolific, and I suppose no author who writes that much can have winners at every turn.

I've been longing for one of the large, beautiful wreaths that another vendor sells at the market each week. They are expensive, and I'm too stingy to spring for the price. But then we reached a bartering arrangement: some of my cards for one of her wreaths! Hooray! The beach/water cards are for her. Here's my new wreath:
It's very large and beautiful and autumnal. It's too big to squeeze between either our front or back doors and their matching screen doors, so it's hanging inside on the guest room door.

Anna mentioned that grandbaby Isaac might like some books for Christmas, so I shopped at my favorite online used book purveyor, Abe Books. The first to arrive in the mail was this gem:
It's in pristine condition.  In fact, I ordered all Tasha Tudor books for him -- six of them. I may go shopping for a few other favorites that he really must have in his children's library. How could childhood be complete without Miss Suzy and Martha B. Rabbit?
He's a very happy, very smiley baby! I tell Anna he is happy because she is such a good mama.

The ladies from our church, plus a couple of neighbors, have started up our fall Bible study again. We took a group selfie since 8 of us were present! That's nearly a record for this busy bunch.
These ladies are some of my dearest friends, precious every one.

Henny Penny and her four babies are just fine. I think they're two and a half weeks old now. I've actually been out in the yard just a little ... in the morning, when it's cool ... weeding. I planted four lantanas plus a sedum, "Autumn Red." 

That's it for now, friends! I hope all is well with you in your neck of the woods!

11 comments:

Una said...

He is a chunky monkey! Babies definitely love books at a very young age. I used to show a book of stories to Daughter and let her choose which one I should read to her. She would stare hard at a picture to let me know her choice. That was when she was about 3 months old. She has grown up loving to read and write. So important.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your watercolors are really lovely! What a great trade to get the wreath you wanted. ;-)

Isaac is a real sweetie and is going to have a fantastic library.

Happy Autumn dear M.K. ~ FlowerLady

M.K. said...

Una, that's an adorable image -- your infant girl staring hard at a picture to communicate to you her preference. So sweet :)

M.K. said...

Happy Autumn to YOU too, Flower Lady :) It is a gorgeous wreath. I feel happy looking at it.

Henny Penny said...

What a happy baby boy Isaac is. He is adorable. I bet Anna is such a good mommy. Can you believe this hot weather? and still a full week to go with above normal temperatures...and no rain. Everything here is drying up. I love your latest card paintings. Think maybe the beach/water scenes are my favorite. Enjoyed your post!

Lisa Richards said...

I loved the beginning of Child from the Sea, but not the whole story. My grands have a copy of Corgiville Fair. Her books are fun and good artistic inspiration! Happy autumn!

M.K. said...

Thank you, HP. I enjoyed painting them. I love the ocean. It's 94 degrees RIGHT NOW :( I'm so, so sick of this heat. It's nearly October! What's up with that?

M.K. said...

Yes, they are! She's an amazing artist. Quite challenging to paint that well! I may get back to Child from the Sea, but I want to find more engaging reading before then.

Leigh said...

What a lovely update. Your water colors are so pretty! Very refreshing to look at, which is very welcome in this heat. (I'm tired of it too!) Okra is a really good veggie for our kind of summers. I freeze my extra in bite-size pieces - no blanching necessary. Makes great oven-fried okra all winter.

M.K. said...

I am loving the okra this summer/fall, Leigh!

Eric brunt said...

i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
or
call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
or
call/whatsapp:+2349057261346