Monday, March 2, 2020

How to Tell a Good Pastor from a Bad Pastor

I generally avoid testy topics on the blog lately, but this matter has come up several times recently. It's so important, if you go to church or are thinking about getting involved in a church. Here's a meme shared moments ago on Facebook by a friend:
I like this little comparison. I think you could also put, at the top, "A Good Pastor" vs. "A Bad Pastor." Because there are bad pastors out there who feel it is their calling in life to shove you, frighten you, discourage you, and condemn you.

Satan is the one who condemns. He's the accuser. 

A pastor is a shepherd, right? He goes first and shows the sheep the path. As Adam says, a pastor is not supposed to drive the sheep to market, but many pastors do. A true shepherd gently, slowly leads from the front, and he's not going to the meat market or the coal mines; he's going to streams and grass.

This is important because there aren't many pastors out there who lead gently and encourage and wait for the sheep to come to the peace of the pasture. There are lots and lots of church leaders (I cannot call them pastors) who drive the sheep. They are zealous. The claim to love the Scriptures. They are fired up for mission and ministry. They adore preaching. They have big personalities and attract people. But they do not love the sheep. They do not have the patience to work with sheep. They should go be a CEO somewhere. They are in the wrong job.

If your church leader says you should not question him, then you should start questioning him. Do it lovingly. If he doesn't want to hear your hurts, he's not shepherding. If he's only interested in the needs of the people outside the church but not inside the church, he's not a shepherd. If he insists that your listening to him preach is the essential element of your Christian growth, he's wrong. After talking with him, if you leave feeling thrashed, guilty, rejected -- run away fast. That's not God's voice. 

"Come to me, all you who are weary and heavily-burdened, and I will give you rest." "Peace I give to you; my peace I leave with you." "The greatest of these is love." Is there a better chapter about love that I John 4? "Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God ... If we love one another, God abides in us ... there is no fear in love, for perfect love casts out fear."

It's hard hunting for a good church, a good pastor. People will accuse you of church-hopping and being unable to commit. But the fact is, there are many bad churches -- not because they're full of bad people but because they have bad leadership. You're a sheep. When you walk into your church, you should smell the fresh grass and hear the smooth stream. If you hear the cries of the meat market, you're in the wrong place.

Much love to all of you! I hope I don't sound bossy. Be careful which shepherd you ask into your flock. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a religious person, but...….this is an excellent post and so true.

Sandi said...

That meme was SO GOOD to read. How encouraging! I had been feeling down...blue...but that list really brings things into perspective.

I agree with everything you wrote here. As I was reading I was being increasingly reminded of the need to forgive those who have hurt us. It is good to forgive. It is only possible to forgive someone who is guilty, so we must not brush it aside or excuse it. I don't know if unforgiveness is in your heart, but if it is...let it go. Bless you.

The word unforgiveness comes up in spellcheck for me. It's a word, right?? 🤔 I am wondering if it just an old-fashioned word these days.

magsmcc said...

The unforced rhythms of grace, that's what we want to be reminded of I think. I love this picture from your friend. It is very good indeed. I'm about to show it to a stressed teenager I know and love.

Granny Marigold said...

MK, I am in absolute agreement with what you're saying. I'm glad you posted it.

GretchenJoanna said...

Surely a pastor should show us what Christ looks like, and bring us TO Christ, not get in the way. The best of them fail sometimes, of course, but they are humbled by their failures. Thank you, Mary Kathryn.

happyone said...

We are very fortunate to have a wonderful Pastor. He lives what he preaches and is a good friend to us also.

Retired Knitter said...

You are right. I stopped going to one church because I got tired of being scolded from the alter! It drives people away! Life is stressful enough without adding more.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Great post! I like the part "When you walk into your church, you should smell the fresh grass and hear the smooth stream. If you hear the cries of the meat market, you're in the wrong place." To be lovingly guided by our pastors is a true blessing and helps us grow in God's grace and tender mercies. Thank you for posting this. ~ FlowerLady

Henny Penny said...

Me too. I agree and enjoyed reading this. I feel like Adam would be that good kind of pastor. Reading this reminded me of back during the flooding from a hurricane when Adam picked up the elderly gentleman who lived alone and carried him along to your mother's home, to be safe. Thank you MK.

annie said...

I enjoyed this, I think uou are right.
Our Preacher says that he wants to build people up not tear them down, yes he still blunders sometimes mainly over his relatives I think. But he has a kind heart and keeps trying.
Imperfections do exist behind a pulpit too, not just in the pews.