Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Coping

There are times in life when we flourish, and times when we only cope. I'm amazed at some friends who are seeming to flourish during this pandemic, which is wonderful! More and more, I am just coping. I don't think it's the virus and all its daily terrors that are getting to me so much. It's Adam's complicated, baffling, exhausting array of illnesses he's had since mid-March. We are both worn out.

So tomorrow morning I am going to Ocracoke to visit a friend for a few days of rest. I intend to do nothing, until I want to do something, and then I'll only do what I want ... a sure recipe for discontentment, haha! We will have fun, and I plan to eat from the Mexican food truck nearby. I want to smell sea air and walk along the sandy alleys on the island near the tiny shops. Otherwise, I don't much care what we do.

I went shopping at the local thrift store yesterday, hooray! Here are a few clothes I found to take to Ocracoke:
 A linen skirt and thin, drapey blouse above, both of which I had to mend a bit ... and below, my favorite shirt.

I also found toys for grandchildren to play with, when they come to Nana's house. Want to see?
 a castle (needed some repair)
 a barn
 beach toys
a bulldozer

I'll take a couple of books and my watercolors to the beach, just in case I want them. I still haven't found a book that's grabbed my interest, so I've returned to old, faithful Mr. Trollope.

 This one below is more of a booklet.
I sewed a little pouch for my paint brushes. Art cases are rather expensive. This one is a temporary fix.
 Slip your brushes in those slots, plus anything larger in the two end slots, and then roll it up.
 I had this very cute red fabric, but alas! it had drops of superglue dotted all over it :(  I cut the girls out of the fabric, and appliqued them onto my pouch. I think she's so cute.
 I ended up painting four versions of the orange tulips. This last one was on 9"x12" Arches paper, very nice, rather expensive paper. 
 If you are not bored of painting quite yet, here is a series of goose/goslings I did, following a lovely video by a painter on facebook.
First one. I didn't like the color of the goose.
 So I gave her a brown body.
 The water is hard to get right. A third attempt:
 Are you still reading? Bless you! 
What's Adam doing, on days when his mouth isn't killing him with sores? He's at his computer, starting up a new youtube endeavor! He's making tutorial videos for people around the world who play a game called "Crusader Kings." The existing videos are poor quality, but millions of people play this challenging game. He's been a good game-player for most of his life. He got himself a new "gamer" chair that is more comfortable than the wooden dining room chair he was using:
 And, the last of the peas. The cool spring garden is coming to an end.
You're lovely to bear with me. I may post on Ocracoke. I'll certainly take pictures and post afterward. Time to rest my nerves. What is it that Mr. Bennett says to Mrs. Bennett ... that her nerves have been his constant companions these many years? I feel the same about my nerves!

10 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Good for you taking time out to refresh your self. You'll return in a much better frame of mind. Nice that you found some articles of clothing that you like and can take along on your visit to your friends.
I have never read any Anthony Trollope. Once I go to the thrift store again I'll look for his books.
Handy little pouch you sewed for your paint brushes. Cute appliques.
One of these days, hopefully, Adam will begin his trip back to good health. At least he's keeping boredom away with making videos and also playing games.

Have a lovely time away!!!

Pom Pom said...

I love your painting, MK!
I bet you are tired and I hope you have a lot of fun and rest on your little getaway.
Poor Adam. What a drag. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

GretchenJoanna said...

I'm so happy for you! That is a friend indeed, in your need. I hope the days go really s-l-o-w-l-y for you. It's great Adam is able to fend for himself for a bit. That is a good sign.

My son-in-law's family have a house on Okracoke. I hope to visit and stay with them there one day...

magsmcc said...

MK, so many wonderful, beautiful things in your post. The most beautiful of which is obviously and always a glimpse into your godly spirit. And yet, my one bursting response is to tell you that we have that exact castle, THAT EXACT CASTLE, and it will never leave this house as it carries so many hours of adventure and daring-do! I'm keeping it for my grands too- laugh out loud. Yours is in much better state than ours.

Much love and many prayers for your creative retreat. My God fill every minute with joy and peace and rest. I don't even think you have to do anything when you're there. God can be creative with you as you retreat xx

Claire said...

LOOOOOVED this post!!! Hope you both rest well! XOXOXO

Henny Penny said...

Ocracoke! What a perfect place to get away to and do nothing. Sometimes I feel like that's what I need. Well, I know that's what I need. Dan isn't actually sick...he just constantly worries about getting the virus. That's a pretty outfit you found at the thrift store. I haven't been in a thrift store since all this virus stuff started. Listen, thank you for telling me about the horseradish plant. I may dig it up. We already have too many invasive plants taking over. Thank you!! Relax and have fun.

annie said...

I enjoyed your post. Your cards are pretty. I hope you get the rest you need. One off the wall thought, acid reflux might be something to check on with Adam. Also a condition called throat burn that relates to reflux.
My husband has reflux problems for several years now, he has developed asthma because of it, and was told he has too
many white blood cells to expell them out worsening the asthma. Also the blisters you mentioned could be coming from the reflux. Just sonething to check into.

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear M.K. I have enjoyed your lovely blog. I came over from Brenda at Coffee Tea Books. It is nice to meet you. Hop your hubby will son be well. Enjoy your time away. Your watercolours are beautiful. Thank you for sharing them. Have a blessed week.

Kezzie said...

I'm glad you can go somewhere to take a break. It must be horrid with Adam feeling so unwell!
I like your new top- so pretty!
I will never get tired of your watercolours! Beautiful they are!

Una said...

Those peas are making me hungry. I think the birds would laugh if I tried to grow any for myself. So I might see what my local supermarket has in stock tomorrow.