Monday, November 29, 2021

Advent: A Time of Repentance and Mourning

 That title up there -- Adam told me that yesterday as we drove home from church, and it's stuck with me. For many American Protestant Evangelicals, who have little historical understanding of Advent (or Lent, for that matter), it feels more like they are engaged in a month-long baby shower with lots of presents and enthusiasm. 

NOT to be critical, however. Joy is also appropriate, as the angels told us. 

The advent calendar is hung, waiting Dec. 1. I think I've somehow lost the inn keeper, if I ever had one.

The Christmas cactus is beginning to bloom.
I'm sick. Not very sick, but either 1) an allergic reaction to lots of mouse dust in the barn, or 2) a cold caught from my grandbaby, John.
If it's John's cold, it is worth every single snuggle and hug!

They were here for a week, and now they are gone back to their busy lives, and we miss them. He is a very sweet baby.

So, being sick, I'm drinking tea and taking it a little easier for a few days.

I'm knitting a scarf with two yarns together, an easy pattern.
Time on the couch with the humidifier blowing pillows of moisture into the air, and my lovely (fake) fireplace glowing away. I love it.
The blanket is for Tricky, who loves to sleep on it. I'll wash it tomorrow, but until then, it's hers.

For years, I've wanted an elegant snow globe, but they are so very expensive. Last month, while strolling through the Christmas section at WalMart, I found this:

It sparkles and churns silver glitter all around, and even though it might be on the edge of ... well, not tacky, but not elegant ... I am enjoying it a lot. 

What do we mourn during Advent? Not the birth of the baby, but perhaps the fact that He had to come at all. We mourn our brokenness and wickedness that made our rescue necessary, and His coming and rescuing of us essential in order for us to regain peace, a better way to live. I look at the world around me, and the church in our world, and it's hard to see that we have found peace, or any better way to live. But I continue to hope.

I hope to post once a week this month. We shall see!




4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I admit I consider Lent as a time for repentance and mourning but to me Advent is a joyful time. Anticipation of the birth of a savior.
I like your glittery sparkly lantern/snow globe. It's perfect for these dark days. Dark in more ways than one.
Sorry you caught some nasty bug. Feel better soon. (((hugs)))

GretchenJoanna said...

A blessed Advent, Mary Kathryn. <3

Lisa Richards said...

I'm so thankful He came down from heaven to save us! You lost your innkeeper, eh? LOL Hope you found him. Take care of yourself and enjoy the tea and knitting! :)

magsmcc said...

And from today's post - what is 'greening'? I like the connotations of deep forests. I've been singing In the Deep Midwinter to myself this week (under my breath necause I do not have your musicality) and I think in the ages before fairy lights and Christmas pyjamas and festive hits, the climate in our northern hemisphere would have been mournful indeed. But what is Christmas if not also Easter, and Pentecost, and love and sacrifice, and joy and tears? Mary pondered it all, and wondered at it all. It's the pondering time.