Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Home

 Home is the quietest place, the place most calming to the spirit. I'm home as much as possible, and it heals me. I'd never considered how homeless Joseph, Mary, and Jesus were, after they left  Nazareth. How utterly homeless did Mary feel when they went to the home they were expecting to stay in, in Bethlehem, only to be told that the guest room was already occupied, and there wasn't space for them? "All we can offer you is where we keep the animals." Have you ever lost your home? (We have.) Being without a home is spirit-crushing.

They went from Bethlehem to Egypt swiftly, then to Jerusalem, then back to Bethlehem through Jesus's babyhood till the magi came. When they finally returned to Nazareth, I wonder if Mary let out a sigh of relief and though, "No more of this cray living! I've done enough, God!"

I'm very thankful for my home.

A friend gives me a waxed amaryllis bulb each Christmas. Slowly, so slowly, it rises, and gradually pushes out the first bloom, then the second. But after years, I have large clumps of amaryllis in my flower bed. So many beautiful things come slowly in life.

I celebrated in WalMart yesterday and bought a big, square tin of lovely cookies. I bought 3 bags of chocolate. (One for me, one for Adam, one for Julia. He instructed Julia to take his bag of peanut M&Ms AWAY so he couldn't eat them all.) I bought some new boxes of tea for church. 


The Yorkshire tea, in malty biscuit flavor, is for home, however.

I've decorated, although the outside of the house is devoid of Christmas cheer, I'm sorry to say. I'm at an age where I accept what I can do, and don't worry about what I can't do. In addition to our fake tree, I'm putting the appropriate ornament on our Jesse Tree each morning.

I've placed my little wooden tree with its ornaments on top of the piano.
Our old creche is assembled with its pine cone trees.
And I've hung my woven Advent calendar on a door. I was faithful to snap on only one figure each day for about the first 5 days, but then I couldn't resist; I put them ALL on. It was so much fun! The snaps are stubborn and sometimes don't work. I did save Baby Jesus, however, and will lay him in the manger on Christmas morning.
It's a jumble of figures, isn't it?
Mostly, I'm trying to get a variety of things finished before my daughter and her family arrive next week. Then I want it to be sheer family fun and together time while they're with us. I'm weaving, knitting, making lotions, doing yard work. And making Youtube videos nearly every day, which has been fun! If you have time and want to, go watch :)
I'm trying to be slow like the amaryllis. It's a gentle constant push against the hurry, a steady application of the brakes each day, all day. I choose not to go careening toward Christmas this year. So far ... so good!
Outside, doing yard stuff:
Inside, doing yarn stuff:
In the kitchen, making yummy stuff:
And I'm doing occasional poetry readings:






5 comments:

Sandi said...

I like your Star of David on the tree!

Granny Marigold said...

To do what we can and not fret about the rest. I agree totally. You've been very busy and yet have been able to make several Youtube videos. I just watched the one where you read Richard Wilbur's poems. Now I'll check to see if I've watched the others.
I can't imagine planting out an Amaryllis bulb and having them live and thrive outside all year. Although I have 6 pots of them not a single one is going to bloom this month. Or even next month. My fault for not forcing them into dormancy.

Retired Knitter said...

Boy, can I relate to doing what I can and not fretting about the rest. I am in my 70s and I have adopted that more than I want to admit.

Henny Penny said...

The amaryllis reminds me of hands in prayer. I agree, there's no place like home. I really wanted a Nativity this year before Christmas but looks like I wont get it. I have found a few on Craigslist. Yours is very pretty. Shelby and I were in a thrift store last year and she spotted one in a box (before I did) :) and bought it. We had both just read Jan Karon's "Shepherds Abiding". The Nativity reminded us both of the one in the book. Hope you all have a really nice Christmas.

Lisa Richards said...

I like the idea of going at a relaxed pace at Christmas. Your house looks very festive! We're all so far apart that it's just me and my daughter's family next door that get together. And we keep it very casual! I'll have to watch some of those videos. I think I'm spreading myself too thin online. There's so much to watch! Ha ha. Hugs and Merry Christmas to you and your family!