Wednesday, May 18, 2022

I'm Sewing Again!

 WAY back in the day (40 years ago ... 30 years ago ...) I sewed a lot. I sewed my own clothes, and they were just as silly-looking as the thrift store clothes I wear today, haha! But patterns became expensive, and fabric became very expensive, and I stopped sewing.

Recently I've been watching some old Kate Jackson youtube videos. (Kate Jackson, an older lady from Northumberland, UK, not Kate Jackson of Charlie's Angels!) Kate quilts, but she also makes small sewn house decorations: pillow covers, window and door hangings, little throws. So I held my nose and jumped into the pond of sewing again. I followed her video instructions for a Log Cabin pattern pillow cover:

Front (above) and back (below). I prefer the back. Obviously, I did an inferior job coordinating the strips of fabric, and ended up with that whole swath of solid pink ... bleh. But it was a first attempt, an educational moment.
Love the envelope closure - so easy!

I'm now working on pillow cover #2. It will be better, I hope. Here is the Log Cabin front piece, done yesterday:

I also did a little window hanging using a method that Kate calls "pixel pictures." I ironed some carefully-measured squares of fabric onto a square of fusible interfacing, did some sewn seams according to Kate's instructions, and ... tada!!

I was pretty pleased with the result, and Adam congratulated me on my measuring accuracy. It's tiny, no wider than my hand, but I wanted to discover if I enjoyed it before I committed to a large one. Kate has large panels of this kind of thing in her home. She makes pillow covers with them too. She has another method for making a similar project into full-size curtains. I'm not trying that yet!

I'm knitting the final square on my 2nd mitred square blanket!

My foray into sewing has coincided with Adam's new interest in this hobby also. First he worked hard to refurbish my very old treadle Singer machine. Then he bought a $5 White machine at the thrift store. Then he bought a $50 Japanese machine online. He's gone crazy for sewing! He wants to make clothes for him and for me. I'm in favor of that, as long as they meet my high standards for Bohemian Hippie attire :)

$1/yard - not bad! Lightweight linen-like fabric

We've been buying fabric at the thrift store nearby. Apparently a lady donated over 17 big tubs of fabric! She was going to open a fabric store, and changed her mind.

Meanwhile, Leo:

"Mom, I blinked. Take it again."


His favorite spot. Beau's favorite spot too ...

I made kissy noises, and he turned around.




5 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I like the pillow covers you're making. There's so many things you could sew...no end of fun. My old sewing machine was misbehaving and eldest daughter cleaned it and oiled it then forgot all about it ( she had partly taken it apart). I asked DH to see if he could make it work and he succeeded. Not that I sew much but it's handy to have.
Good for Adam finding a new hobby.

annie said...

MK,this was such a fun post.You did a great job on those projects. I still kept thinking Kate Jackson was off Charlies Angels because I listened to you speak of her techniques on your weaving videos. I'm no weaver so I never checked up on her!:) Now I will, because I do sew a bit from time to time. I was surprised to see Adam is sewing. I'm not sure why, he is so talented in so many areas.
I'd love to have an old treadle back again. I let mine go years ago and have missed it.
Leo has grown and is a very handsome fellow.
I'm still hoping to get those insect repellent bars from you after you have them ready.
I really enjoy your videos and your blog. Blessings!

GretchenJoanna said...

Wow - that's a lot of sewing energy in one household. I hope I get there, too, within the next year, that is, back to sewing!!!

Leo is such a pretty color - Actually a lot like my Kate's cat Huckleberry. <3

Lisa Richards said...

I LOVE Kate! She's so pleasant to watch, and I can get my knitting and sewing vicariously, lol. I really love the window curtain she made using the small squares. That requires more patience than I possess, plus I'd have to buy a machine! Sounds like fun for you and Adam to be sharing a hobby and that fabric find at the thrift store is fantastic! Y'all have fun!

Kezzie said...

Ahhhh, these are beautiful!!!
Your cat is beautiful!