Thursday, July 14, 2022

The Height of Summer!

 It's been a little over a month since I posted -- too long! Apologies. I'll glance through photos, choose the best, and then chat with you about what's happened since the middle of June ....

We spent five glorious days together in the North Carolina mountains on vacation in the same home we stayed in last summer. It was warm, the river was cool, we tubed twice, and fishing was enjoyed. I took a chilly drive up to the top of the Blue Ridge Parkway with my son one morning for the amazing views.




I've been spinning a LOT. There's a casual online event in July for spinners called the Tour de Fleece (haha). I've set a goal to spin enough yarn to knit myself a vest for the autumn. Here's what the yarn looks like:
Shortly after the big family vacation, our son and daughter-in-law and grandson came for a visit here, which was absolutely delightful. Philip worked so hard on our property, but we also enjoyed a day at the beach.

I've been knitting and felting hats, and am surprised both by how well they've turned out, and how inconsistent they are in size. I need to practice more.






For reading during these warming days, as I hibernate in the air conditioning, I've plowed through two of Josephine Tey's books, Miss Pym Disposes and The Daughter of Time. If you want reading that will prey on your brain, make you debate with yourself, and generally cause you befuddlement, I recommend these two. I'm currently in Anthony Trollope's The Eustace Diamonds. I pulled it off my shelf for a reread because a group read/zoom discussion was going on in the Facebook Trollope group, but I started too late to participate. Still, a good read. Trollope's fortes are character crafting and plot development. He's a master!

Lastly, I have finally figured out how to put my little children's book, The Thanksgiving Mice, on my youtube channel as a read-aloud. I've been pondering this for years. Here's the link to the video. Please share it with the little children you know (maybe ages 5-9 or so?) The world needs more silly books about naughty mice, don't you agree? Lisa, I wonder if your sweet grandkids would enjoy it?


In addition, Adam has been sewing up a storm this summer, making hats, suspenders, trousers, and vests. He's revamping his wardrobe. Church happenings keep us busy with friends, and he has only a month left of his summer break before he's back in the classroom teaching middle school science. We are getting old(er), but we don't seem to be slowing down much!

Blessings to all of you! I will survive August, and then we will eagerly await autumn -- hooray!!




5 comments:

Angela said...

Your hat is adorable!!!

I did not like The Daughter of Time. I have read and liked several Trollope books so may need read this one!

I am so over summer! It has been so hot in GA since May! I don't want to wish my life away but I look forward to cooler temps!

Granny Marigold said...

How lovely that you could get away and enjoy a few days in the place you stayed at before. And that you and your son could have a time together.
July is passing so quickly. It's not as hot here as what you have but it's still uncomfortably warm.
I am full of admiration for those who can knit, spin, do felting... especially the felting. Once Fall craft sales start up you can display your felted hats of various sizes along with your pretty painted cards.

Retired Knitter said...

I have also been on an unplanned blog break. Need to get back to posting again. The vacation house looked wonderful and so close to water. Grand!

Henny Penny said...

Your felted hat is so pretty and you look pretty wearing it. You are so talented, I mean really talented! You and Adam both. Can't believe he is sewing. How wonderful is that! And besides all that, you write a most interestering, fun blog post. That place in the mountains looks perfect and then the fun trip to the beach. The books you read all sound way above my head. Seriously, I do good to get through a few pages of one the sweet Mitford Series books. :) Yes! This children in this world need many more cute books about little mice.

GretchenJoanna said...

I loved The Daughter of Time -- and I love your hats!!

I have a copy of The Thanksgiving Mice, but after I read it with delight and laughing, it got somewhat lost among the other books in my collection for the young... UNTIL I had some young guests here for a week with their parents last month, and one day that book showed up on my kitchen table :-)

They were out of the house for the day, but I read it again myself and loved it still. I hope I can find it when Thanksgiving comes around, and read it to my own grandchildren, but if it is hiding again I'll look up your video for sure. Thank you, Mary Kathryn.