Sunday, October 2, 2022

The Beloved Month

I told Adam that October 1st is my favorite day of the year. October is my favorite month, and on October 1st, I have thirty-one days of it to enjoy! 


Friday was an interesting day. Hurricane Ian was passing to our south, swinging strong winds and rain our way. With schools canceled, Adam was home. We enjoyed the day indoors, him sewing and me knitting and spinning. It was lovely. He made pumpkin scones.

I'm feeling so much better already, with cool weather and the departure of summer. Hooray! I'm also on a new eating schedule. Pre-diabetes (insulin resistance) has caused me to start a 16/8 diet schedule, where I don't consume anything but water between 5:00 pm and 9:00 am. It's not that hard to do, and it can really be good for you ... and it's so much better than taking medication, although I may have to do that too, eventually. But so far, I'm feeling so much better!

My doctor also prescribed a little something (medication) for anxiety, a first for me. I think that's helped also.

What have I been reading recently? Well, I read Miss Read's Changes at Fairacre, Tea by the Nursery Fire by Noel Streatfeild, and am now in the middle of Haven Kimmel's interesting pseudo-memoir, She Got Up Off the Couch. I have a precariously leaning tower of books on my bedside table, and another on my vanity, all of them waiting their turns.

Life has been fairly quiet here (except for that hurricane). I've adjusted to being home by myself during the day, and have taken the "be productive" pressure off myself. When the weather turns cool, my favorite thing to do is burn sticks and branches in the burn barrel in the mornings. It's sheer delight. 

I've started making my own pecan/peanut granola.
And how could I forget to tell you about the five baby chicks that were hatched by Henny Penny about 3 weeks ago?



They are so healthy, and she is such a good mama. I'm thrilled to see that all five have survived thus far. Three are "naked neck" birds, like their daddy Mr. Sparky. I'm not at all certain, but I have hopes that four of them are hens. We can hope! Think of all the eggs I'll have then!

I've been doing a lot of knitting -- LOTS of felted slippers, and I'm quite far along in a sweater vest, but not far enough along to show you photos of it yet. But it uses this yarn that I spun in July:

I did make a second wet-felted bowl, but no more. I'll wait to see whether I can sell them before I make a dozen, haha.
I take way too many photos of Leo. He's so very cute. I'll go find a few of them to share with you, and end there. All is well with us, and I hope all is well with you also, dear friends! I'm over on Youtube more than I'm here, if you're looking for me :) Take care, and God bless --




4 comments:

Gretchen Joanna said...

That granola looks delish!

I try to do a similar thing with "intermittent fasting." It really does feel good.

Enjoy your October all the way!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear MK, I've been thinking about you two, praying you would be safe and no flooding in your area, so it was good to read this post.

What lovely yarn you spun. I am totally impressed, and your felted bowl is beautiful! Have you seen Jerri Landers beautiful critters that she felts. You can find her at Hoppalong Hollow. Maybe you already follow her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij0POVyZoh8

I think you could make critters also, they would be adorable.

You inspire me and I thank you for that. I've been in such a slump the past two and a half years.

Enjoy your week and your cooler temps. I'll be glad when it cools down a bit more down here.

Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

Granny Marigold said...

Leo is very cute!! No wonder you want to grab the camera and take one more picture. That's how it is around here these days with the 5 kittens. Who now have fleas and tonight they'll have their first baths.
I hope that new way of eating will help you avoid medication at least for now.

Lisa Richards said...

Glad to catch up on your life a little bit!
Enjoy those fall pleasures! Hugs to both of you!