Monday, April 29, 2024

Sacrament

As the twilight cools to evening

He will lead me through the garden, 

Past the angels, who will bow,

Past the other trees aplenty 

To the one with heavy boughs.


For this tree we've all been hung'ring,

For its fruit our bodies long.

But before we reach its shade

He kneels with me beside a brook

Of crystal water shimmering.


We cup our hands together there -

His old scars are faint and healed -

And dip, and then together sip.

He takes this sacrament with me

As we were always meant to do.


The rivulet of life begins

A transformation within me.

Then we stand before the tree,

Its fearful fruit will soon become

Flesh of my flesh, bone of bone.


He reaches out and picks the fruit,

He breaks its flesh and gives to me

The sacred life. We eat together

Of the Tree of Life at last!

Now the sacrament is done.


I will live within the garden,

I will sleep within its shade.

I will dance among its flowers,

I will speak among the trees,

I will live eternally.



- Jesus said, "Today you will be with me in Paradise." from Luke 23:43

- "And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost." from Revelation 22:17

- "and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever ” from Genesis 3:22


Bayboro, NC 2024

Copyright by the author



No comments: