Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Take a Video Tour with Me of our Herb Garden ~

I'll start out with the video tour I made yesterday of our herb garden and other yard interests. I posted this video on my farm blog, but some of you might have missed it there. It's my very first "vlog"!! I now have a Youtube channel! (I apologize for not always keeping the video on target - I was too worried about the microphone and audio. I'll get better!)
Our yard/farm is a mucky mess right now. We're only a few feet above sea level, so any good night of rain leaves us with big puddles.

Adam and I went to a new flea market last Saturday, across the Neuse River in Newport. It's a big outdoor/indoor flea mall.
So much stuff! And so many people who get up early to rummage around in all the stuff :) It was fun to watch.
Below you see some of my wares and other vendors' tables in the background.
It was fun to have so many customers, crowds milling about. I do hate to leave the Oriental Farmers' Market, but to be honest, the customers just don't come anymore - it makes me sad. I love Oriental, but I can't spend every Saturday morning staring at empty Hodges Street :(  We vendors don't really know why the market there has changed, but it certainly has.

We rose at 5:40 a.m. on Saturday to make the ferry across the river, to arrive at the Newport market and set up before 8:00 a.m. I don't enjoy that early bit either, haha! But Adam will come too each week, so we get to be together, which makes it all worthwhile. Sales were good for a first week. We'll go back and settle in there, and any week I can't seem to make it across the river, I'll hopefully tack myself onto the Oriental market again, if there's room.

I sold this shawl:
Now I'm making a new one for this Saturday's market:
Hopefully today I'll sew a little apron/pouch for the market to put around my waist for keeping my money in. I've needed one -- here's the remnant of fabric I plan to use:
This is today's light lunch.
A zippy Honey Crisp apple and some natural, chunky peanut butter - yummy combo!
Adam taught me how to cut an apple into pieces without having to awkwardly carve the core out of each section -- just cut around the core, instead of through it. Does that make sense? One of these days I'll do a quickie video about cutting an apple - haha!

I hope you have a peaceful day. I'm spending my day in my studio, doing little things like painting/weaving/sewing/soap business. I'll also practice the piano a bit for the coming Easter season. Doing laundry too. It's cold and rainy outdoors ... still ... and we wait still for warm days to dig in the soil.

6 comments:

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

I dearly enjoy flea markets, thrift stores and the like. It's searching for treasure! If that shawl is for sale, may I, please, purchase? It's got the things that make me zing...color, nubbies and love.

melissa said...

Love hearing your voice, southern girl!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Good to see a new post from you and your first video. What camera are you using? It's interesting seeing a live tour of your gardens and how things survived your winter.

I just watched your video and enjoyed it very much. I look forward to seeing more from you. What camera did you use?

Congrats on selling that lovely scarf. It seems like with more foot traffic you should do well at this new market.

Happy Spring, Happy Gardening, Happy Creating ~ FlowerLady

Granny Marigold said...

I'm so glad you made the video! You have an amazing variety of herbs. I enjoyed seeing your house and yard too. The audio was fine except for a few short bits where you faded out but not for long.

Lisa Richards said...

Good to see that you've found a busier market for selling your wares. It will be more fun for you, too. Your weaving is so pretty! You have a nice selection of things to sell! I think what you described is how I cut an apple. I slice across, just missing the core, then rotate and do the same. I started doing this after I lost a crown while biting into an apple. Never again! LOL. Loved the video. Gotta make a note to try that!

GretchenJoanna said...

That shawl you sold is sooo pretty. I wonder what happened with your local market :-(

I think it's nice that your wares will jazz up and beautify that busy market, too! It's wonderful that Adam will be with you there.