Thursday, June 20, 2019

Writing Plans

Hello, friends! It's the heat of summer now and time for me to sit in my study with a fan blowing and gaze into the pasture. The dogs are lolling in the shade. The chickens are taking dust baths. I'm writing.

It feels so good to be writing again. I know writers say this all the time, but those dry, dusty periods when words don't come (or we don't let them come) are so discouraging. You wonder if you'll ever create something again. These times of fruitful productivity feel like spring, like a waterfall, like joy.

What am I writing? Here's the plan:

The Mortuary Murders - a series of books (I hope) set in a small Southern town. The first-person narrator is a brand-new funeral director, a woman. These books will be "cozies," quick, easy reads. Beach books. I'm over half-way through the first one. I'm writing about a chapter each day, trying to get the story out of my head and onto paper. Then Adam and I will go back and edit.

Three Against the Dark - This book is old history, but Adam has reread it and is jump-starting it again with lots of platform and support this fall. 
Ten Days at Federal Hill - Its sequel. My next project after finishing "Mortuary Murder #1" is to finish this sequel and get it tidied up. Publishers (if we decide to go that route) like series, so I'll need to have a second book to offer them, and promise of a third. The overall plot certainly lends itself to that.

PICTURE BOOKS - Punkin and the Littlest Mouse is done; The Thanksgiving Mice is done; The Rescue of William Shrew needs ten more illustrations painted. I have a Christmas story in my mind that I want to complete by December. I have one or two other story ideas in mind for this book cluster.


Greenfield Civil Wars - Another finished book that lends itself to sequels and could also be considered a bit of a "cozy." I started a sequel but didn't continue with it. 

Poetry - I have lots of poetry, and some of it (I think) is good enough to gather into a small book for publication, if I already had other books selling well. It would be easy to put together a little book for this purpose.

Doing all this, especially the daily commitment to writing each morning, makes me feel like a writer. I want to be a writer, to use that skill, to leave these stories in the world. I'd never considered how important it is that those who are story-makers should tell their stories, give them to others who want to read stories. I assumed most people thought up stories in their heads all day long -- what did anybody need my stories for? Apparently most of the population don't write stories in their heads all the time! If a person has the ability to create stories and the skill to put them into well-written text, that person has an obligation (I think) to write for others.

We'll see. But that's the plan! Now I must go finish Chapter 14 before lunch.

10 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

It's so great that you're writing again and have plans for future books too!! It all sounds amazing and with the commitment to write every morning you will surely achieve your goals.

M.K. said...

Thank you, GM!! It's hard work, writing every day. But I'm beginning to think there's no other way to really get after it and accomplish something, bookwise.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Oh my goodness, you are going to be very busy. A nice artistic endeavor inside during the hot summer. Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

Lisa Richards said...

I've read Three Against the Dark and I didn't even realize that Ten Days at Federal Hill was the sequel! I'll have to read that soon. But I may have to re-read Three Against the Dark first, to refresh my memory! Keep up the good work! (You mean other people don't think up stories in their heads? Really?)
During this season of my life, with my son and family living here, it's difficult to feel like doing anything creative. But maybe it's also an opportunity to hole up in my room to scribble notes now and then. We'll see. ;)

Deborah Montgomery said...

Good for you! I love cozies. Sounds wonderful, M.K. Keep at it!!

Una said...

That is impressive! They say everyone has a novel in them. I think you have more than that.

M.K. said...

Yes, FL! :) Like you, I have to hibernate in summer to escape the horrific weather outdoors. I think writing might keep me from moaning on the couch all day, watching Youtube!!

M.K. said...

Lisa, it's good to know I have a kindred sister who has stories rumbling around up in the "ole noggin" too :)
You know, with all those grandchildren so near you, maybe you should think up some children's stories you could tell them aloud -- or write them down and then read aloud to them. That's what motivated me like NOTHING else, years ago. The kids would clamor, after I read them each chapter, "Write the next one, Mama! Write the next one!" That'll keep you writing!

M.K. said...

:) I hope so. We'll see.

Caitlin @ Naughts Cross Stitches said...

Wow that sounds awesome and I love the look of those children's books.