Monday, June 29, 2020

A Limited Garden Tour

I am utterly put to shame by the gorgeous gardening I see on some of your blogs and online videos. I am no gardener. As soon as the temps get above about 80 degrees ... I'm inside in the AC. I spend the summer mostly sitting, waiting for autumn. 

But I decided to carefully photograph the few things blooming in my yard to show you, so you'll get the impression that the yard is amazing, haha! No ugly photos allowed! (Scroll past the plants if you want to see watercolors.😃)

I had no idea I had any gladiolas by my front steps, but there they were a couple of weeks ago. Here is the last bloom.

A fuzzy photo of the last yellow rose bud:
The fuzzy theme continues with the
 last of the gardenia blooms. I love them.

These darker elephant ears are 
flourishing this year! Hooray!
I worried about this clump of ears too, 
but they are doing well.
The bed of tiger lilies (doubles) is weeeeeedy,
 but they're still pretty.

Gazing across the dill heads into my herb bed.
I even weeded the grass out of my basil 
for about 5 minutes, so I was proud of me!
My creeping fig (not a fig) plant by the front steps is doing what I wanted: creeping and wandering.

These two hostas shaded by 
the Japanese magnolia tree are just huge.
The lantana is beginning to bloom. 
I'm always happy when the well-established plants get big in late June. They kill off the weeds underneath and make the beds look like they are kempt.
Little elderberry in a pot. I am too afraid to go visit the other elderberries in the veggie garden across the pasture. 
With Adam's illness and the summer heat, we have mutually agreed to give up on the veggie garden and leave it to its own devices.
My lone geranium is happy!
And this lovely hanging basket, a thirsty girl, is still alive! Yay for that!
Our latest addition is a new young rooster (AKA, a cockerel). He is a silkie, which means he should be very docile and not aggressive. He's been here nearly a week. For the first time ever, I have appeared to integrate a new bird into my flock without the hens killing the bird. So far, I'm calling him Roo-Roo:
He'll look better when he's older.
Lastly, here are a few watercolor cards. A friend asked for a bunch of oyster shells, and I did another rooster for another customer.


And I painted a couple of these large sunflowers. 
This is the card.

This is the 9x12 piece.

One is a card; the other is a 9"x12". It sold at the market. I'm painting another one tomorrow for a friend. The more I paint it, the better it will be :)

That's all, friends! Thanks for reading all this mess to the end! God bless and keep cool :)

4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Your flowers and herbs look fine to me but I know I try to avoid pictures of less-thsn-lovely areas of my yard. It must be hard when the heat is unrelenting. Small wonder you are leaving the garden to fend for itself.
Nice that Roo has been successfully integrated. Chickens can be so vicious. It's one of the things that upset me when we had hens in the backyard.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Good morning dear MK ~ The summer heat and humidity make me get out and work early in my gardens, otherwise it is just way too much to deal with. This morning I want to repot the 4 roses I just got last week. My St. Francis garden is so overgrown St. Francis is almost covered with creeping plants and the little path is non-existent.

You have had some wonderful blooms in your garden spaces. You and Adam need to relax this summer, so that Adam can heal.

Your watercolors are lovely.

Enjoy your week ~ FlowerLady

Lisa Richards said...

I think you're wise not to worry about the veggie garden this year. Too much on your plate. And I don't blame you for not going out in that southern heat! Love the sunflowers and the oyster! Your skills are growing by leaps and bounds! Enjoy the AC! :)

Henny Penny said...

You are so funny. Your plants look beautiful, and you know what, I despise to weed, anything! It is wonderful when the plants get big enough to smother the grass and weeds, or at least keep them covered. It's the bamboo grass here that drives me crazy. When it begins to completely cover a plant, like a web, then I have to pull it out. I want to grow gladiolas so much. I bought a bag of bulbs two years ago and have never had a bloom. They come up and flop over. That sunflower you painted is gorgeous! (is that spelled right)?