Monday, May 9, 2022

Where's That Winter Robe Again?

 It's freezing outside this morning! I don't mean that literally. It's actually 49 degrees. But after a few 85 degree days, 49 feels like freezing, and I'm wondering why my winter robe and turtlenecks are inside my old trunk. Brrr!

However, it's the perfect temperature for yard work, in my opinion. After I get done on Ye Olde Computer this morning, I'm heading into the Horrible Shade Bed to murder some honeysuckle vines. The elephant ears and iris need rescuing before they succumb altogether.


That's the end of the bed that's already been rescued. I'm inching my way down this long bed. It's taken a couple of weeks, and my hands ache, but it's worth it.

A friend posted an article recently about stress and our health, and I admitted to myself that it was time to back away from some stressful online reading (aka, news). The flipside of that is, I must be mindful to fill my mental time with more positive things. Gardening. Chickens. Painting. Music. More important, I need minutes in the day when I just sit outside (before the mosquitoes take over for the summer) and relax. Look up into the tree tops. Breathe deeply.

I don't remember having to be so deliberative about my mental health (for lack of a better phrase) years ago. Is it because I'm older and more mentally fragile now, or is the world a more mentally-damaging place? I wonder. 

This is an elephant ear hosta. I have three of them. The leaves are huge, but the plants themselves get massive too. It's my favorite hosta.

Granny Marigold, you'll be proud of me -- I actually baked something recently! I should do it more often, but I'm rarely in the mood to do baking. These are Mary Berry's scones with sultanas in them. They were tiny. They'll be in a youtube video soon.

Did I tell you already that Roo Roo died? He was killed by a predator. So I went to visit my good friend and fellow chicken lady, Melody, and she gave me a New Roo. His name is Mr. Sparky. He's half naked neck (which I'm not fond of) and half Wyandotte (which I love).His face it turned away from us, so that's why his head looks funny -- not helped by that red naked neck either!

That's Brownie, giving me the eye ball. She's a grumpy old lady who's only just started laying again. Recently she got herself caught in some bird netting. I disentangled her, and you'd have thought I was murdering her! She squawked and screamed. But when I got her in my arms and petted her, she calmed right down. Silly bird.

Speaking of silly:

All I can say about Leo (full name: Sir Jackanapes Leonitis Spratly, so we can also call him Jack Sprat), is that he's constant entertainment.

One day recently when Adam was off work, he made shrimp burgers. They were so very good!

The other thing I'm doing right now is the farmers market. I'm now the "contact person." Nobody wanted the job, so it fell to me. It's a tiny little market, a few vendors. But we have fun and we make a little money.

So I'm still spending lots of time each week making balms and soaps and painting cards. One of these days I'll back off of those hobbies and do more of what I really love: writing, spinning, painting. Just not yet.

That's all the happy stuff, because we don't write about the sad stuff, right? 😀 We are all here to boost each other up! No worries -- I have my little share of worries, but nothing more than usual.

Time to sip my rapidly-cooling coffee, do my daily Wordle, and head to the grocery store. Then I shall do a bit of honeysuckle murdering, just when it's flowering. Isn't that awful?

3 comments:

Latane Barton said...

M.K. I enjoyed your post. That hosta is something else!! Love it. and the scones. You can tell it's breakfast time as I type it. Made my mouth water. And, poor Roo Roo. Will the feathers grow back on your new rooster? He looks kind of weird! (grin)

Granny Marigold said...

Mr Sparky does look strange. I have never heard of Naked neck chickens so Of course I had to look them up. Apparently the hens rarely go broody. I guess that's a plus if it's eggs you're after.

The scones look good. I look forward to the video. Now that I'm outside more I'm finding I have less time on my computer. And, right now our cable isn't working (Grrr) so I can't even watch the few programs I like to watch.

I have a Hosta that looks much like your elephant ears with huge leaves but mine is more blue-ish. It is NOT affected by slugs. Which is a plus.

Okay, I better get back to doing laundry, it being Monday. I hope you have a good week.

annie said...

Hello MK, and new roo. His neck does look strange but I have never been a chicken lady so I would not know. The hostas are beautiful. I only have had the regular ones no elephant ears. I don't have a garden now. Last year it was full not only of plants but opposums, racoons & ground hogs and a bear! So I have not made an effort this year, not sure if I will or not. The bear is a l ready back at night.
I don't want the news filling my head either. I read a few headlines but that is all.Poor honeysuckle, if it was not so aggressive it could stay and not be murdered. Getting what it deserves, hummmm? No I will.not let myself take pity on it. But really it is so fragrant. Could you not pot up a few small ones to sell at the market? Looking forward to another video.