Tuesday, November 8, 2022

And Now It's November --

 It's been over a month since I last posted. What a whirlwind! October was lovely, but it sped by. The main thing that happened is that my daughter, son-in-law, and two adorable grandchildren came for a visit! The grown-ups quickly left for a much-deserved vacation, and the little ones stayed with Nana and Poppi for 7 days. Wow! I haven't done that before in my own house. (I usually go to theirs.) We had loads of fun, were very relaxed and mostly played inside and outside, and watched lots of Clifford the Big Red Dog and Beatrix Potter's World of Peter Rabbit and Friends. I missed them so much when they left to go home, but I was wiped out! I think it took me about 5 days to recover, haha.



At last I finished knitting the sweater vest that I made from my handspun yarn. It's a bit large, but that's better than too small. It's an extra layer for winter, to wear around the house.

I've been picking up so many pecans; this is a great pecan year! Today a friend is coming to pick some too. There are far too many for me. As you see in the photo above, the pecan leaves are covering the ground. We crush pecans when we drive out the driveway -- crunch, crunch -- and the chickens eagerly eat the meat inside. The baby chicks are babies no longer! They're nearly as big as the smallest hen, Bibby. I don't have a recent photo of them. And shockingly, I think they are all females! It doesn't seem possible, but I'm hopeful.

I'm slowly working on yet another children's picture book, this time a bedtime book full of sleeping woodland animals (well, except for the cat). Yesterday I finished the foxes.

I'm starting to write the text, which I want to be a poem, and yesterday I think I decided on its meter. I'm really enjoying this project. 

The farmers market is picking up speed as of last Saturday, and I must paint lots of cards this week, make Healing Herb Ointment today, and make a batch of soap. Phew! I also ordered more of my printed cards from the printer in New Bern. My packs of prints are selling faster than the hand-painted cards. 

I can tell Adam and I are getting older because we spend more time at the doctors' offices, and we talk about illnesses and medications. Ah well, that's what's important to you as you age, right? We are both doing fine. I've made some changes to my eating habits, and I'm feeling better than I have in the past 5 years. I cut out all sugar/desserts about 6 months ago. Then this fall I decided to begin intermittent fasting each day. It's not very radical, really. I try to eat supper about 5:00, and I don't have anything but water until breakfast the next morning, at about 9:00. It just gives my body a good fast, and gets my insulin levels down. It's a way to reverse pre-diabetes and (hopefully) avoid the awful medications for that disease. We shall see! I get blood work done next month, but for now, I feel really good -- less body pain, more energy. Hmm. See what I mean about talking about health issues? 

We have so many activities coming up with church friends and community events. It's a busy month. Enjoy the lovely autumn weather, dear friends, and remember to be thankful each day! 

6 comments:

Latane Barton said...

I know the feeling... so happy to have them visit but glad to see them go 'cause it does tire you out.

Granny Marigold said...

You're back in the swing of things now that you have recuperated from a week caring for those precious grands. Good news that intermittent fasting is helping you.

Gretchen Joanna said...

That's an encouraging report, Mary Kathryn! I notice that I sleep better when I go to bed hungry. But if I were you, I'd be very tempted to nibble on pecans every night!!

Pom Pom said...

Hello dear MK! Oh, those grands! It's fun, isn't it? You are grand to take them for 7 days!
Your vest is very cute! xo

Henny Penny said...

I thought this was a new post...see how far behind I stay. Anyhow, glad to have found it, I always enjoy your posts. Your two grandchildren look so cute and sweet. I remember those days when my grandchildren would come (3 boys) to spend a week. I was simply worn out by the time Lynn came to pick them up. Now they are all grown and I rarely see them. Your sleeping foxes are wonderful. I'm sure your book will be too. Oh, your vest is pretty! I've always loved wearing vests.

Lisa Richards said...

I can imagine how wiped out I'd be after 7 days of grands! :) Love the new picture book you're creating. I was just reading through the two I have. The vest looks great! I prefer to have things a little larger and looser. Enjoy all the good things. Merry Christmas, y'all! :)