Wednesday, August 16, 2017

A Fan of Beverages (A Fasting Update)

Some words Adam pokes fun at me for using. One is "vehicle." Another is "beverage." Well, these days we're all into our beverages. That's what happens when you fast! Yes, Adam is still fasting about 2.5 days each week (from after Saturday supper until lunch on Tuesday), and yes, he loves it. He does not find it difficult. He says Sunday is a hungry day. Fasting causes his mind to focus much better. He is very productive on Mondays and Tuesdays. He enjoys not having to track every calorie -- there are no calories to track. He continues to do much research on fasting, and we are impressed with what we've discovered thus far. He's been to his doctor and has the "green light" to continue as he is doing. I'm more cautious dipping my toes into this pool, but I've given in a brief trial also and found it doable.

He's lost over 20 pounds on this regimen. The rest of the week he eats normally, which for us means lightly with little meat and home-cooked, small meals. And no snacking. We're convinced snacking is what has made Americans heavy and made their bodies insulin-resistant.

So ... beverages? They're mighty important when they're all you have! At our local thrift store lately I've scored some very fun beverage options. I found this lovely HuesnBrew tea pot for only $2. New, it would be about $20. I have lots of tea pots, but a small one like this is so nice for a private cuppa.
 Still, I wouldn't have bought it, except I looked inside ...
I have no tea pots with a built-in infuser. Plus a little scooping spoon :)
Not wanting to neglect the husband, I found another coffee pot for him.
$3 coffee pot; new it would be over $20
 He had a small Bialetti version of the one in the photo above, but this Primula brand is about twice the size. Sometimes you need a little coffee, and sometimes you need a lot. This makes the strength of coffee that Shani likes, so next time they come, he'll brew her up some of the good stuff.
And, to help keep us healthy, I also found a Magic Bullet machine.
Bullet machines were all the rage a few years back, and I knew if I waited long enough, some of them would drift into the thrift stores. This one looks brand new. If you want to watch their video about what this little thing can do, click over here. You can put whole veggies in there, kale, celery, etc., and drink your high-fiber supper. It's kind of a smoothie machine on steroids.

Adam's plan is to stick with his fasting schedule for now until he reaches a weight he likes, but he will continue to use intermittent fasting long term, perhaps adjusting it down to one day each week. Humans have safely practiced fasting for many thousands of years. God instructs fasting in the Bible, and it's no wonder, considering the health benefits. The body begins to consume sub-par components when you fast -- things like inferior white blood cells and protein cells like cancer.

You may wonder why there's not more hubbub about fasting as a medical practice. Why aren't doctors pushing this and the medical community prescribing it? Ask yourself: how much money is there in it? It's a simple thing any person can do at home. No pricey pharmaceuticals. No expensive hospital stays or high-powered machines. Just abstinence.

So far, we are fans.

4 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Congratulations all around; on both the weight loss and those cool thrift store finds. I've never seen a teapot like that. So cool! I like fasting also but I am not good at anything even close to 24 hrs. so I opt for the 12 - 17 or more overnight fasts each day when possible.
I always enjoy your posts. Thanks so much for great information and reading enjoyment. Have a great day.

Lisa Richards said...

Great job on the fasting! I wish I was more disciplined. I just give in when my stomach complains of the least little hunger pang. I have been doing smoothies for breakfast to get in my berries and greens. I also try to add coconut oil and a banana with oj to thin it out a bit. Then I figure if I get in a big green salad and a little protein sometime during the day I've covered most of my bases. My protein usually takes the form of peanut butter and honey on toast, a boiled egg, tuna or canned salmon. I don't refuse to eat red meat; it's just easier not to have to cook! Simplicity is great, isn't it? ;)

Deborah Montgomery said...

Tending to be an all or nothing person, maybe I should give fasting a re-try. Except of course I know I wouldn't be able to do the "all" on the eating days! Congratulations to Adam!

Kezzie said...

oooh, you did well on the tea pot, coffee pot and Bullet!!!! I haven't fasted for a while but I think I should!