Monday, May 28, 2018

We're Picking Up Speed

Only 12 days until Anna and Gramm's wedding! Anna and I tell each other nearly every day that this is not a stressful wedding, and no stressy things are allowed. We ask each other, "Is there something we've forgotten to do?" But no, everything generally seems to be in place, or coming into place. So we sit and grin at each other.
Today we went to "big town" to do some various shopping. We bought all the little necessities for the reception: tablecloths, plastic plates, napkins, and cups. Anna is a good planner and not a procrastinator, so I have no worries about last minute catastrophes. 

She also took me out to eat Mexican food for my upcoming birthday. Very sweet of her. I'm quite spoiled with Mother's Day and my birthday so close together. We also shopped for some surprises for her bridesmaids, and some honeymoon clothes at our favorite consignment store. I found yet another white cotton skirt with built-in slip. It's becoming my wardrobe!
It's a bit big in the waist, so I'll pull out some of the elastic.

We came home to a lovely dinner made by Adam:
Chicken thighs under the broiler, plus roasted veggies too, fresh herbs, and pasta over a butter/lemon/pepper sauce. I enjoy our light, healthy eating in summertime.

I've been knitting a little hand puppet, the pattern for which I found over at Una's blog, "Great Balls of Wool." Hers is so cute, but then Una is a very serious knitter and extremely gifted. Her puppy dog's face is charming and symmetrical. Mine, on the other hand ....
 First you knit this long piece with all the increases and decreases for head and arms.
 Then you knit the ears, each one having two colors. I had to decide which color should be on top and dominate.
 I opted for the stripey ears, with the red underneath. The ears are open at the top (so you can turn them right side out), and I left them with that little opening underneath. I had a stuffed animal dog as a little girl, and he had a secret hole in one ear where I stashed private little notes inside. It was great fun.
 I think this hand puppet will be for the grandchildren, whenever they arrive. They can leave notes for each other in Herman's ears. That's his name -- Herman.
Adam's latest interesting creativity is making rope sandals. He's watched lots of youtube videos on this. He made good progress on sandal #1 last night.
I'm eager to see the finished product. He says in these sandals, one's toes have to hang over the edge. I'm not sure what I think about that!

By this time next week, wedding people will have begun to arrive, the house will be hopping, Adam will be cooking up a storm, I'll be wondering what I should be doing, and our daughter will be setting out into her greatest adventure yet. Bon voyage, my dear!

14 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Herman looks great! I'd never be able to keep track of all that increasing and decreasing. Good to hear that things are calm and on-track for the wedding. I hope you can just enjoy all the...joy! Go, Adam! I want to see those sandals when they're finished. Will they be sold at the market?

Henny Penny said...

You have such a talented family and are always so busy! I love the picture of Anna. And your hand puppet is adorable! I've been catching up AGAIN! and looking back at your trip to Willaimsburg. Glad you had fun. That is such a beautiful place. Oh, I love your white skirts. I have at least four, all of which I found at thrift stores.

M.K. said...

Lisa, Adam is always doing ongoing research for a book he's been writing for many years, about the time in human history after Adam/Eve left the Garden, until the flood. He's trying to figure out how they might have made early shoes :)

M.K. said...

Me too, HP! Love thrift store skirts :)

Pom Pom said...

The wedding is so close! Hooray!
Rope sandals, huh? What other YouTube videos does Adam watch?
Take care, sweet friend.

M.K. said...

Pom, he watches lots and lots of youtube videos and listens to podcasts all day long - it's important, with his tinnitus, for him to keep sound in his ears at all times, even at night. But he's almost always interested in some sort of old-time craft.

M.K. said...

Oh - I forgot. He watches a lot of those James Townsend videos on youtube. He does lots of early American history/culture things, esp. cooking. And we've watched years of British "Time Team" archaeological videos too.

Unknown said...

Wow! So much going on, but exciting too! Love you all and wish we could have come for the wedding. Much love, Lynn and Wayne

happyone said...

Sounds like everything is going smoothly with the wedding plans. Won't be long now.
My birthday is tomorrow. Do we have the same birthday?
Cute knitted puppet.
Not sure about those sandals. : )

GretchenJoanna said...

I should think any child would love that puppet!! I love him...

Granny Marigold said...

Just 12 days until the wedding and no one is getting stressed out? I'd say that's pretty great.
When things settle down ( as in after the wedding) I'd love to see how the lovely cotton skirt fits and how long it is etc.

Pom Pom said...

Interesting! Thanks!

Carol Blackburn said...

Oh my, the wedding is so close! Does sound like you ladies have everything under control and enjoying each other's company. That is wonderful! I don't know if I'd like sandals with my toes hanging over.......? I hope you show us a finished pair and tell us how they feel. Blessings!

Leigh said...

Herman is so cute! And such exciting times for you. Things to be very thankful for. :)