Sunday, June 10, 2018

For the Happy Tears!

I hardly know where to begin. What a week! Weddings are glorious, fun, hard work, emotional, exhausting, divine, heart-wrenching, and the most wonderful days in our lives ... all rolled into one.
For those wondering about my mother's flower-arranging skills:
The ivy was from her yard. The eucalyptus was from mine. The white roses and carnations were courtesy of WalMart. The Queen Anne's lace and purple cone flowers were given by our pianist and friend. The peonies traveled from my sister-in-law's farm in W.Va. I say my mother has a romantic British drapey look with flowers.
(This will be a long post. I recommend consuming it in segments with refills on tea.)
Here are photos from the bridal shower two weeks ago. (I know, I know ... I'm way behind.)
Sweetest hostess on the planet, Martha
Anna felt the delight of being spoiled, loved, and gift-given.






Anna with two other young ladies from church

This delightful gift -- Recipe for a Happy Marriage -- made the evening sweet.

I think there were 17 of us ladies there, which was delightful.

Now, photos of the finished cake! I know you've all been dying to see it:




It was as good as it looks, and everyone was so proud of Adam and Gloria. We had some left over, which we froze at church for next week's snack. And Adam had a niece asking him if he would make her wedding cake ... someday.


She was wearing these gift pajamas before the fact!

Much church decorating occurred, involving hefting of wooden furniture and tables, draping of twinkle lights and tulle fabric, nibbling on quick meals, and flying trips to WalMart for  one more thing.


a serving bowl in my wedding china pattern, Mikasa Rosemeade.


 They chose a neat idea for the guest sign-in, a tree (artwork by Julia) where each guest put a green thumbprint, and signed his/her name on said thumbprint.
 

We had a breakfast for bridesmaids and ladies in our family. My sister-in-law Anne prepared all the food beautifully. All I had to do was pull out dishes.
 We squeezed all the girlies onto the couch. (Our family has a bad habit of squeezing kids on couches for photos.) There are quite a few beloved girls missing too, but this crew is darling. This moment made my heart so happy.
Yes, Anna is sporting her daddy's old dress shirt. She basically wore it all day until time to don her wedding dress. I'm not really sure why, haha :)

The rehearsal dinner was so much fun!

 

What are Anna and Gramm smiling at, you ask? A surprise slide show of themselves as babies/toddlers/kids/teens/etc., designed by Gramm's brother. We all thoroughly enjoyed it!
 Afterward a few candid shots were taken by the river.

Where are the wedding photos, you wonder? Here they are ~

Gorgeous wreaths made my another sister-in-law



 Anna with her grandmothers before the ceremony:

Cousin Tammy and brother Marshall:

"Smile!" I said ...

Silly, happy girls!

"Don't touch the veil!!"

Lovely girls!
 "Who gives this woman?"
 "Her mother and I do."

Yes, we do, and very happily. Our darling girl has married a very fine young man, into whose arms we trustingly place her. We feel they are very well-suited, committed, and look forward eagerly to all the joys they will share.
These are only the candid shots I happened to remember to snap on my phone. Much better photos will be coming later from my dear, rescuing cousin, Tammy, who agreed to photograph the wedding on Thursday night after we learned that Michael (my niece's husband, and our first photographer) could not come because Hannah (my niece) is very ill. (Please pray for her.) 

The weekend, as all of life, was full to the brim of great joy and some sorrows as well. Families are like that, aren't they? But the union of Gramm and Anna -- that was sheer joy. They were beaming. May God bless them richly and guard them from all harm. 

Adam's mom gave us ladies in the family a handkerchief, as she said, "for the happy tears."
May they always be happy ones.



17 comments:

Unknown said...

Just incredibly beautiful! Every detail perfect. I love how the bridesmaids looked all together in their dresses. I love the pew decorations. Anna and Gramm look so happy. I pray the Lord will richly bless them all the days of their lives together.

Granny Marigold said...

Oh I always cry at weddings and need a BIG handkerchief!

Love, love all the pictures and the whole story of the day itself. May Anna and Gramm be blessed with so many blessings! ( I wondered if Gramm is short for anything. It's not a name I'm familiar with.) My youngest son's name is Graeme which many pronounce Gram.

Anna's dress is lovely and the cake turned out just fine the second time around, I see.
Have a relaxing week-after .

Donna said...

We just celebrated our son Evan and his new bride, Maggie's wedding two weeks ago! I wholeheartedly agree with you! We all had such fun celebrating the love of our children! And a week ago, Evans twin sister have birth to her second child, a sweet little girl-our 2nd grandchild! Yes, mom was in the wedding too! God is good.

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

So much joy!! Many blessings to the young couple from this old married lady of 50 years and much love to her mother and father as you embark on this new level of parenting her.

Henny Penny said...

MK, you write such a good post! It felt like I was right there with you all. The wedding was beautiful, Anna was beautiful. I love the picture of Anna and Gramm smiling at the video. I love all the pictures! Oh, and your mother did such a good job with the flowers. She is still a pretty lady. And your husband did an amazing job with the cake. Thank you sharing this.

Wayne said...

We send "Happy Tears" too, and many blessings for their marriage! We so wish we could have been there, and MK the pictures are fabulous! How beautiful our Anna is! Love you all, and we will be praying for your niece Hannah too. Love you always, Lynn and Wayne

magsmcc said...

So gorgeously beautiful, such joy! I am waiting for photos of you!

Lisa Richards said...

Aw. Beautiful and joyful!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a lovely wedding. I really loved the bridesmaids dresses, and the bride was beautiful in her lovely dress.

Congrats to the bride and groom, may they blessed with much joy, adventures, and many wonderful years together.

FlowerLady

Gumbo Lily said...

What a beautiful day and such joy! Your mom really does know how to work magic with the flowers! With all the picture snapping (by you) we did not get to see the MOB and FOB and the Bride & Groom together. Surely there are some family snaps. Congratulations to everyone. Now some downtime for you??

happyone said...

Happy Happy times. Everything seems wonderful and joyful. May the Bride and Groom always be as happy as they are on the wedding. : )

M.K. said...

Jody, these pics were just random ones I shot on my phone during the week. My cousin was our photographer (plus our son Philip), and those photos will be forthcoming, but it does take time for photographers to review, edit, and select from the hundreds they took. We are eager for them too!
YES, I am quite ready for some downtime!

M.K. said...

Linda, those bridesmaids dresses turned out pretty neat. Anna selected them online, so the girls didn't try them on first. Very floral, but it gave an added punch of color to the sanctuary. Very nice.

Una said...

Wow, some great photos and memories here. The hankies were a good idea that I might borrow one day. The cake was too good to cut, surely?

Ida said...

What a beautiful bride. Enjoyed all the photos. Congrats to the happy couple.

Pom Pom said...

How beautiful! I love the bridesmaid gowns. So cute!

Carol Blackburn said...

Dear M.K., sorry I missed seeing your wonderful wedding post until today. I have been neglecting visiting my blogger friends and I'm finding out I missed so much. They look gloriously happy and I wish them all the best.