Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Oh, Laura!



I'll begin this post by saying I read nearly all of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books as a girl, and I own them still, and I read them aloud to my children when they were little. I loved her books, especially The Long Winter, probably because it was the most tragic and scary. And because I longed to be snowed in. Please, just once in my life! Let me be snowed in!
Image result for little house on the prairie book

Wilder's legacy as a children's author is now under scrutiny. The Association for Library Service to Children (part of the American Library Association) decided this year to change the name of its yearly award from The Laura Ingalls Wilder Award, to The Children's Literature Legacy Award. The new word, legacy, is significant: the organization wishes this award to reflect in both its name and its recipients a legacy into the future of excellence for young readers. They have found Wilder's books to be lacking in legacy.


I left a comment on Facebook on a friend's page about this topic and was quickly blasted by fellow homeschooling and Wilder-loving moms. So I'd like to make a few things clear first:

1. I don't advocate banning Wilder's books. I generally don't advocate banning books at all. 
2. I don't advocate removing them from libraries, schools, or homes.
3. I don't advocate tossing our history out.
4. I don't advocate pandering to every whining person who takes offense at a book, song, article, or comment.
5. I do think children need guidance as they read Wilder's books. The farther removed we become from her culture, its attitudes, and its values, the more our children in the 21st Century need assistance navigating not just the historical events, but the social nuances Wilder presents.
6. The Association has the right to remove her name. They are not selecting someone else. I feel they are making a careful correction with an award's title that's more general now, and not holding any one writer up as a paragon of literary virtue. 
7. We should read books from our past that depict our mistakes, our wrong thinking, our injustices to others, and our societal selfishness. It's good to remember how bad an aggressive, dominant white culture was in the 1800s. It's not good to present those ideas, unfiltered, to our young children who lack skills to evaluate them carefully.
8. Wilder's simplistic writing style belies its subject matter. The style is perfect for rather young children; some of the material is not. I'm not referring to the danger in the stories; children benefit from vicarious danger in stories -- danger at a safe distance. Again, I don't want mamby-pamby kids. I am more concerned about the influence on their hearts.

One of the books in question, Little House on the Prairie, in which the Ingallses move to Kansas a bit too early and encounter many Native Americans, was published in 1935 when Wilder was in her 60s. Wilder was a white writer, writing for a white audience. No one considered how Native American children might respond to depictions of their grandparents in her books, and it was not thought odd that they were not considered. "Not being considered" was the norm for minorities of all kinds during the early 20th Century.

Wilder wrote of her own time, and her expressions were not frowned upon then. She merely depicts the attitudes she recalls from her childhood. But the fact that, in the 1930s, she wrote such sharp racial material for children without batting an eye, shows how much has changed - I wonder if it was even considered "racist" then! Today, we take greater care regarding all the children who will read -- Native American children, black children, Asian children, white children. All children. Wilder did not have to bother with such consideration, and I don't hold it against her. She was simply a writer of her day - but therein lies her lack of legacy. Perhaps the harsh racial tones are more appropriate for older children reading with more discretion, or for children reading with guidance from a teacher. And perhaps no child at all should have to hear, "The only good Indian is a dead Indian" repeatedly from anyone, anywhere. Just because it was said and believed, doesn't mean we all have to hear it -- especially sensitive 8 year olds with little life experience or wisdom.

As these events have rumbled past me this week I've tried to recall my own reactions to Wilder's books. She was such an observer. She watched carefully her mother's and father's opposite reactions to the Indians -- the fear, the respect, the distrust, the caution. But neither parent had a good attitude toward the people who were being driven off their lands. The Ingalls family participated in that removal as settlers, in their small way. At best, I'd have to admit that young Laura seemed confused and hesitant, to the young Mary Kathryn reader -- she liked her Pa, but she depended more on her Ma, and as a child Laura instinctively feared those Indians. Her mother's fear transferred to her. That was my impression. She found the Indian baby fascinating but foreign. And Ma's obvious disgust at the Indians' personal habits and forwardness left a life-long impression on her daughter. Laura's writer-eye was already vividly recording it all, but when it came across the page to me it seemed clear that the white people's world was vastly superior to the Indians', and Laura was glad, as her Pa was, that the whites would be able to settle this land.

That's a legacy of abuse, exploitation, violence, and cruelty that our nation is ashamed of. Is it our history? Yes. Do we study and remember it? Yes. Do we applaud it? No.

I feel that the Association made a good choice to change the name of the award, to be more cautious about attaching a single author's name to an award interested in legacy. To leave a legacy means to contribute something that will be timeless, that will outlast shifts and changes in culture, to write transcendent books unshackled by the flaws of the very times they depict. Few authors achieve this. Some people felt Wilder had done so, but she did not. 

I know many of you, my friends, will disagree, and that's okay. I don't mean to offend you, and we can disagree about a small thing like a literary award's name, without falling out. I just thought I'd present a different viewpoint, if you needed to hear one. I still love Wilder's books, and if I ever read them to my grandchildren, it will be with much greater care.

12 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

I appreciate you taking the time to write thoughtfully about this, Mary Kathryn.

Anonymous said...

Well said, Mary Kathryn. Thank you for this perspective.

happyone said...

What you say makes a lot of sense.

Angela said...

This is a great blog post. I love the Little House books. I always have. But there are definitely parts of the book that are problematic. I think they're great teaching tools to begin addressing racism with children, and there is a lot to be learned about the history of America from the books. But I wholeheartedly support the decision to remove her name from the award.

melissa said...

I disagree.

Sadly we've become a world living under such hyper-scrutiny, and seems the white man has done it again. I can't think of another group of people who have been so criticized for opinions, whether they're shaped by the times or simply personal environment. Shall we apologize again?

And the idea that an individual can read a book without being led by the hand while doing so, forget it. Let the more educated ones do the leading. Take their learned interpretation. No. Everyone who reads the Little House books (I read the set in 3rd grade and with my kids later) isn't going to squirm at Laura's depictions of, say, Indians. Most readers, I'm thinking would slip right past that, no doubt having already seen their share of cowboy and Indian movies where the Indians are always running around in circles, yelling and burning things. I get it. I have Cherokee ancestors. I know all Indians weren't savages, but some were. At least Tonto comes out on top in the Lone Ranger.

If the award name stripping hadn't come up would we even be hitting on Laura? Doubtful.

Nothing is let alone anymore. Folks wear stuff out, have to be the loudest voice, screaming to be heard. Chips on so many shoulders, waiting to be offended.

Will we go after Shirley Temple movies next? The current mindset of analyzing motives and supposing we can actually get into someone's head is exhausting. Rather than 'Here, this is what I think,' it's, 'Oh no you don't. You're intolerant. Here, this is what you should think.'

One of my daughters is a cashier at a local crafts store. A woman came into her line recently, said something my daughter missed hearing, and the woman apologized, then gestured around her and to anyone within earshot that she didn't want to offend anyone.

This is what we have become.

Granny Marigold said...

Wow! I was blissfully unaware of any controversy around Laura Ingalls Wilder until I read your post. Thanks for your thoughts, I'm not sure where I stand on this. I tend to think children can read and understand that things were different in "those days".

Lisa Richards said...

I came. I read. I fall somewhere between the agree-ers and the disagree-ers. LOL. :)

Unknown said...

Well thought out! I think you have convinced me. Point #4 is especially good.

melissa said...

I apologize for my harsh manner of commenting. While I stand by my opinion, I shouldn't have purged myself on your blog.

Sometimes I need to cultivate a gentler way of expressing myself. 😊

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

Wise, wise words indeed. We've come to a place where everyone, everywhere may, and often do, find offense at whatever they please and the rest of us must toe the line or be called very ugly names. We've come to a place where tolerance is given only to those who agree; should one disagree, the price is whatever one wants to bestow. These are sad, sad times.

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

The award is funded by a Mr. Wilder; I wonder if any connection and, if so, think of biting the hand that feeds.
We may re-write history all we want but it doesn't change what happened. Atrocities have been committed by every race and tribe under the sun...both against each other and against others. First people to this country would cut off women's breasts and use them as balls; they would bury men in the earth with only their head visible and then play "polo". I am sorry it happened but it did. Legacies last only as long as people agree on the definition which, in this case, they do not.

Deborah Montgomery said...

I disagree, but I do think you make valid points. Thank you for being brave enough to discuss this. My problem mostly is where do we draw the line? Pretty much every single person who has come before us has not been as "enlightened" as we supposedly are. I agree, how we treated Native Americans was shameful. But we can find fault with almost every writer in terms of racism, prejudice, different ideas re LGBT for example and on and on. Will we get rid of/ban/marginalize all these writers and artists? We need to be thoughtful as we teach; these discussions can be great learning moments. xo Deborah