Monday, July 27, 2020

What's on my Camera?

Hmm. Let's see if I have anything to share with my dear blogging friends ....
I visited the thrift store and spent some leisure time in the bookstacks. Books were half-price, so I indulged in some that I normally wouldn't. I'm calling these "because the library is closed indefinitely" books. Also, "books I don't mind donating back" books.  That was a freeing feeling!
I have a little familiarity with all those titles except the Snow Flower novel by Lisa See. I've never read a Rosamund Pilcher book before, but I have an inordinate love of The Shell Seekers movie with Angela Landsbury.
Adam made "BLAT"s for lunch --  Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado Dip, Tomato Sandwiches. And yes, it IS that much better than a BLT. You're welcome!
My creative juices have been squeezed out of my brain lately, thanks to unrelenting worry. But here's one.
I sewed another stack of masks for the Masketeers group.
I found sewing easier on the mind than painting, so I turned  my attention to my cranky old sewing  machine. I cleaned the lint from the bobbin area.
I decided to clean it a bit more, needed instructions to do so, and discovered my grandmother's scribbles in the manual.
I'd love to ask her what "slow hand" means.
I began to disassemble some parts and give squirts of oil.
This is a hefty, sturdy machine with metal parts.


Our anniversary is coming up, and I want to make a second vest for Adam from the pattern I bought online. Below are the pattern pieces and fabric, all cut out. The brown fabric is the vest front; the lavender linen is the back and the inside lining.
Today I actually finished the sewing of the vest and tried it on him. It's a lovely fit, and I fixed the problems with the first vest. I have no photos yet; I'll show you it next time. It needs top-stitching, buttons/holes, and the strap along the back.
Adam is feeling a  bit better and is able to eat and (more importantly), cook! Here are a  few things he made in recent days:
Eggs Benedict for breakfast
Squash breaded (in corn starch) and fried in peanut oil. Guacamole dip in the back.
Homemade gnocchi with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese
Maybe that'll get you hungry for dinner! 
Today is a day for waiting. We're waiting for biopsy results from the dermatologist about Adam's illness. At this point they think it is probably Pemphigus Vulgaris, a very rare autoimmune illness, a skin-blistering disease. Not a very good disease to have, although it is treatable, and most sufferers live normal lives once the illness is gotten into remission. Usually that requires heavy rounds of steroids for a while, followed by other medications that keep it in check. So today, we are nervous, waiting for the call this week. It is the kind of diagnosis that can be a little life-altering. But I hope it will be better than the insane stress of the past 4-5 months of alarmingly increasing illness with no idea what's causing it, and nobody to help us. That's the worst. Many of you have been through these very rough patches in life, and come out the other side. We will this time too. Many thanks for your prayers.

5 comments:

Sandi said...

"It is the kind of diagnosis that can be a little life-altering. But I hope it will be better than the insane stress..."

I hope you find out the answer is good news.

Fast machine, slow hand? I think this might mean let the machine do the work, move yohr hands slowly.

Granny Marigold said...

I enjoy Rosamund Pilcher's books and own a number of them including The Day of the Storm. I think you'll enjoy it.
Good for you giving your grandmother's sewing machine a tune up. And sewing all those masks!!
I'm not sure if it's better to hope that Adam's illness has finally got a name, or dreading that it be the Pemphigus Vulgaris. Whatever the biopsy reveals is at least a step forward. Praying for the both of you.

Lisa Richards said...

So glad Adam is feeling better, and cooking delicious things! Hope you get good answers and the medications do the trick. Love the flowers you painted, and the sewing looks like a pleasant past time. Praying! Hang in there! :)

Henny Penny said...

Sorry for your unrelenting worry, but even so, your painting is very beautiful. Adam makes the most delicious looking foods. I can't imagine sitting down to a plate of food the looks that good. Not around here! Your old Singer sewing machine looks like a good one. Bet it is made ten times better than my new little Singer. Glad Adam is feeling better, and hope he continues to improve.

gretchenjoanna said...

I am so glad to hear there is a diagnosis and a standard treatment plan. That Adam feels well enough long enough to cook and eat, well, glory to God! It is probably very heartening to him to be able to do his favorite things at least a little, and to have you there to appreciate his cooking!

Praying for you. <3