Friday, January 1, 2021

My 2021 Reading Challenge

I'm an occasional visitor to a Facebook group, "The Literary Life Podcast Discussion Group." Yes, there's a podcast that I never listen to, I'm sorry to admit. I'm not a podcast person. But I enjoy their discussions about various books and writers. In 2020, they presented a reading challenge: 20 categories of book types, and you fill in one book in each category to commit to reading. I knew there was no way I'd get through a regimented list like that, so I opted out.

But this year I'm tempted. Should I do the "192021" Reading Challenge? That's "19 books to read in 2021." Here's the category list:

What I'd love to do is fulfill as many of those selections from my own shelves as I can, probably rereading many of them. I'm sure I could find a book for each category from my own collection! Wouldn't that be a fun thing to do? And I'd choose short books, to ensure that I can finish the challenge. I'm also wondering if I should designate one day each week as "Reading Day," and eschew screens and devote myself primarily to reading. I'm looking at some of those categories and anticipating already the books I'd love to reread.
Is that a list that appeals to you? Would you like to join me? Or if 19 is too many, perhaps select 10 categories that you like most, and do those?

 

3 comments:

magsmcc said...

I really love the idea of a reading day with no screens. I like that very much indeed. I think I'll definitely commit to that. I'll say I'll join in with you without committing to a number? I'll join in with discussion when you have a category that overlaps with something I could be reading? How does that sound?!

And a very Happy New Year to you both x

gretchenjoanna said...

I have a lot of those "genres" already on my shelves, that's for sure. "Avoided," "Never Finished," "Something Russian" -- lots of possible overlap, too. And almost everything on my shelves is "To Be Read"! Ha!

"A Poetry Anthology" -- now there is an idea. Do I have a very small one of those around? Again, Ha!

Thank you for this fun and provoking list, M.K. Now when I read a book in 2021 I'm going to think about whether it qualifies here somewhere. :-)

Kezzie said...

I am indeed tempted to join in. I am wondering if I still have any of the books I gave up on such as Cranford, Lark Rise? There are a few I reckon. Hmmm, let me have a think!