Sunday, January 31, 2021

Far Away From Home

 I'm over here, a stone's throw from the Mississippi River. Mississippi feels vaguely familiar still - a memory of a home -- but it's not home anymore. Still, I'm enjoying my time here so much. The pandemic makes it so that I pretty much stay in the house, a comfortable place for us introverts. 

On my way to Mississippi, I stopped in Tennessee to see another sweet grandbaby boy who I had not yet seen (because of the pandemic). I spent a whole DAY with him myself, and what a dear, precious blessing he is. This is John:

He is just as sweet and even-tempered as he can be. Don't you love that little shirt they bought for him? (MELT....)

Anna had her baby this weekend, little Ellie Kate. We are all pleased as punch! She has a head full of very dark brown hair like her mommy did all those years ago. She needed a little extra time in the nursery at first, but is coming along nicely. Right now I'm at home with Isaac by myself because Gramm is not allowed to go in-and-out at the hospital, of course. Covid makes everything just that little bit more difficult!

I've been cooking like mad, and I'll throw those photos in here somewhere. I spend hours playing with Isaac, or watching him entertain himself with his toys, which he is masterful at. He's a good sleeper, a good eater, a good player, a generally happy little boy -- just like John! I'm so thankful to have this time with them, real one-on-one time. They won't remember this particular visit, but it still goes into the whole pot of soup that will be our relationship. They will remember me each time they sees me, and at some point they won't remember life without me. Isn't it supposed to be thus, with a grandmother?

We've gone on several walks with Isaac. (I walk; he's in the stroller.) That always calms him down. He loves the outdoors. He loves objects, handling them, figuring out how they work. He concentrates well. 


I've cooked: beef stew, chicken and dumplings, spaghetti, chicken and rice (twice), Clementine Chicken, chocolate chip cookies, and peanut butter cookies. 



And lest I forget, Anna and Gramm have a gorgeous rag doll cat, Chauncey.


I don't know when I'll go back home. Nanas stay where they are needed 😀 Blessings to all you dear friends out in blog land. Keep heart! Stay safe and keep hope in your hearts.

7 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Congrats on new grandbaby. How wonderful for you to be able to visit your sweet little ones. Enjoy it all ~ FlowerLady

magsmcc said...

MK, huge congratulations to everyone! I do hope that baby and mummy will be very well and home very soon x

Now I must ask, who is Thomas Banks? I'm just wondering what I'll read in February,and his is the only category that has me stumped! Some of the others are daunting - Russian and Greek/Roman! And the first book that comes to mind that I've started (twice) and never finished is Kerouac's On The Road. I fear I may be too old for all that now! I think I've told you this before. Sigh. Too old, you see!!

Granny Marigold said...

You've been busy cooking and caring for little ones. I'm so thankful for the safe arrival of Ellie Kate. How adorable are those two grandsons too. So many blessings. Take care.

Henny Penny said...

Congratulations! A Granddaughter! I love the name Ellie Kate. I know she must be adorable, like baby John. So glad you got to spend time with baby John and now with Isaac and Ellie Kate. Bet they are happy to have you. I know they will enjoy your cooking too, especially since there's nothing like mama's home cooking. Enjoy every minute.

Retired Knitter said...

How lovely! Grand kids and cats! Heaven.

Lisa Richards said...

Oh my goodness! The grands are multiplying! :) Congratulations! Enjoy the visiting!

gretchenjoanna said...

How perfectly splendid that you can stay as long as you're needed! Congratulations on all those babies little and littler! Babies, babies, God bless and keep them. <3