Sunday, October 17, 2021

Autumn Road

The storm arrived in sleep's deepest hours,

And stayed 'til noon in spitting showers.

Its chilly wind disturbed the weather.

We dashed inside to don our sweaters. 

All along the road the leaves were flying,

They seemed alive and in no way dying.

Fluttering, fighting, and flying down,

Yellow and red, green and brown.

Above it all the gray-blue sky

Was watercolor majesty.

I am skipping along the road,

The wind has loosened my heavy load.

And I am happy that autumn's come,

The sultry days of summer, done.

I am alive and in no way dying,

Like the maple leaves, free and flying.












copyright, M.K. Christiansen

5 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

You are so artistic in many ways! Wonderful poem.

Latane Barton said...

So well said. I love autumn and you described it perfectly.

Granny Marigold said...

Perfect Autumn poem. I like it a lot.

magsmcc said...

Yes to this! I read an article today about how autumn is part of God's provision for the earth - mulching and feeding on the planet's next whirl around the sun. Amen to the joy and gratitude of that!

Lisa Richards said...

Sultry southern climes tend to make folks appreciate autumn, lol. Enjoy the cool!