Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A House for Two

I cried buckets when Philip left for college. Our tight family of six was breaking up; the life we all had together was crumbling. When Anna and Peter left, I consoled myself that I still had a child at home, and for six more years I had Julia at home to teach. And on Friday, she left. When the last child leaves, it's a very different feeling.
I missed her immediately when I got home from the college trip. I walked into the little back room and saw a plate she'd left there with dribbles of pancake syrup. A fork. A glass. For the last time I picked up her dirty dishes and took them to the sink. And it was bittersweet. I don't care if she was a bit high-maintenance, a bit dramatic, a bit messy. I miss her not just in spite of those things. I miss those things too.
But the empty nest is its own delight! Today I hugged Adam and wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed his cheek. "We made it! We did it!" I said, enthusiastically. "I feel like we ran the world's longest 3-legged race, and we got to the finish line!" I'm sure those of you with children in their 30s or 40s are giggling at me. But this is a milestone for me. We raised four children who have gone out into the world. I feel relief.
The next morning I started changing things in the house as I want them to be. I took over the back room. It is no longer Julia's hidey-hole and junk dump, haha!
 I turned this back into a real desk, removing the cabinet I'd had sitting on it that blocked the window. Then I cleaned that grimy window, striped with green algae. Now I can sit at my desk and view the barn, the chickens, my hard-working husband. All in the comfort of my own room.
 This room has all my yarn and my soap-making supplies. Plus it's where I'll be writing -- and hopefully writing more productively than before. (I'm in chapter 16 of Ten Days at Federal Hill, the working title of my new children's book.)
I keep all my books in this room too. In the Great Shuffle happening now, I put a few of my very favorites in a rack on the dresser.
That's (l-r) Boswell, Shadow of the Winter Palace, some Medieval and Old English books,
 then Well-Trained Mind, Beowulf, and Blake's selected writings.
 That window-blocking cabinet went in the dining room, atop the old TV cabinet. It looks funny here, but I like it. It holds a lot of tea cups!
 After many years, I've removed the tablecloth and plastic pad from the table, and set it for just Adam and me. Of course, I could've done that a year or so ago. Julia was not a destroyer of furniture. But there's something about having the house to ourselves that makes me want to move things and clean things.
I'm already planning for the children's visit at Thanksgiving. This fall we will work hard on the other building. Adam will finish the electrical work, I'll paint the floor. We will clean and de-bug it and make it cozy for someone to stay there. The futon will go there too.
 I sit here at my desk, gazing out my squeaky-clean window; it looks like autumn. The fig tree's leaves are edged in brown and curling. The light is soft.
I know children are back in school, and I am not there. That's a good thing. Near my desk I have taped my favorite poem, penned by Julia during some homeschool year when we did literature and art together.
 My years teaching her in 7th - 10th grades are my most cherished teaching years of all. It was a delight to open my love for some of those subjects to a child so receptive and bright. May her college years open her mind and heart to yet more wonders.

10 comments:

Pom Pom said...

So, does she have another room to come back to? Or will she sleep in the new room? I like your "room of one's own" very much!
Four kids launched is a great accomplishment indeed!
Enjoy those cozy suppers! I pray Julia has a wonderful experience at college.

Lisa Richards said...

Aw. Bittersweet. But it looks like you're having a delightful time rearranging your nest, and gaining a room of your own! We lost all three of our youngest in one year and it was kind of devastating, but we did rally eventually, lol. What I miss most is just sitting around the living room in the evening with the whole family. Everyone doing their own thing and visiting as something came to mind. Their funny and creative minds! Shared family jokes. I remind myself they're still there, just further away and they're happy starting their own family adventures. They will have hardships, yes, but also lots of love and all the stuff we cherish now. I still have a trunkful of their homeschool papers. I can't even throw out the math papers because they insisted on writing funny stuff in the margins! I'll let them deal with that later, lol. Glad you get to be a homebody. :)

Gumbo Lily said...

I'm excited for you and Adam. It almost becomes a rediscovery of the two of you as a couple. Your house for two looks just perfect.

Carol Blackburn said...

Dear MK, Such a wonderful post. You write beautifully. Enjoy your day!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Bless your hearts as you begin this next adventure, empty nesters, together, doing things you love, and growing more in love with each other.

FlowerLady

Deborah Montgomery said...

Congratulations M.K. It's a wonderful accomplishment.
I didn't know you were writing a children's book. That's exciting. Love your desk, and of course I tipped my laptop sideways to see all the titles of the books before I saw you had typed them out. Always love to see what people are reading.

Leslie said...

It has been a long while since I've visited and now I see you must have moved (I wonder if it is church related) and your baby has gone to college. Lots of changes! I am going to catch up through posts I've missed, but wanted to say "Hello!" and that you came to mind today. God bless! Leslie aka waysidewanderer but now just plain Leslie (in Texas).

Una said...

I know the feeling. Our only daughter left three years ago, followed by huge sighs of relief....I don't mind admitting. She WAS always very hard work. Since then we have almost gutted and redecorated the whole house. We get on well with Daughter at a distance. She is only 3 or 4 miles away. So we can be there quick in an emergency. You deserve a medal for producing and rearing 4 children.

Kezzie said...

oh SOooooooo bittersweet! It's interesting to hear of your different feelings towards this fledging!!! I hope you enjoy it as well as missing your girlx.

GretchenJoanna said...

This is wonderful, Mary Kathryn!! So, are you not teaching this fall? I'm happy about that, too, if it's the case. You always have plenty to keep you busy and happy at home! God bless you, Dear!