Sunday, August 27, 2017

A Whiff of Autumn

Some day this past week the humidity dropped. I think it was a day of rain in the afternoon. Then the air cooled, and I could sense autumn in the future as a sea-lover senses the salt in the air, miles away.
I've been doing yarn. Here's my latest weave on the loom:
It's a subdued houndstooth pattern.
I devised a weaving project involving a grapevine wreath I made months ago. I want to make a weave inside the circle of the wreath. I couldn't find anything on the internet to help me, although I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this. I found one very simplistic attempt with some string, but I wanted a real weave. So I began with some thin warp yarn:
 And slowly started weaving some bulky yarns from the bottom up, looking for primarily natural tones.


I know it looks strange, but I'm hopeful that it will look quite neat when I finish. It's time-consuming. I'd like for the warp strings to nearly disappear by the time I'm done, and for the yarn pattern in the middle to seem as if it's almost suspended in the center of the wreath.
In light of the cooler air outdoors, I used my LLBean coupons to order a sweater:
I love a nice bulky sweater to wrap up in! This one has pockets (essential) and is so cozy. The color is more a dark gray/green. I love the style with the cabling, the snugly collar, the buttons. I'll be wearing this all winter. We often don't need heavy coats here.
I've picked my last tomatoes and am making my last batch of tomato paste discs as I type this. Adam and I have had such a peaceful week! It feels leisurely, like a long bath. I think about Julia a lot and wonder what and how she's doing. We've texted a little, but I don't want to pester her. I want her to enjoy her new life there and sink into college with no Mom intruding ... much.
I see the school buses passing and the school supplies lists in WalMart, and I think, "Those do not involve me!" I'm happy not to be teaching. I want the peace and quiet that comes from hours outdoors in cool weather with animals and a good burn pile. Soon I'll be teaching the ladies' Bible study for the year, and returning to the Prayer Shawl group (I hope). Adam is on a Hurricane Preparedness team in our county, and he's training to become a volunteer counselor for an Opioid Addiction Treatment program here too. Soon we'll be planning our Christmas Shoeboxes, our church's Thanksgiving Dinner for all comers, and our Advent season.
For now, with just a whiff of autumn in the air, I want to enjoy the peace of summer's end.

6 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

It is always great to get a whiff of coming autumn. It lightens our hearts.

I look forward to seeing your completed wreath weaving. Your houndstooth piece looks very nice. I love your new sweater, but to me, it looks like a smoky mauve, no doubt because of monitor.

Enjoy each and every day. You've got things to look forward to, places to go, people to meet.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Pom Pom said...

I'm so proud of you with your weaving, MK! You're brilliant.

Carol Blackburn said...

Wow, your weaving is amazing. You must be a very patient woman. And, I think pockets on a sweater (or anything) are very important. I always need a place to keep a clean tissue with this nose of mine. :) I love that color too! Good choice. Have a great day.

Kezzie said...

Your weaving is SOO good! Well done to you and I look forward to seeing the complete wreath!!! I can't believe Julia is gone- I have some catching up to do!x

Gumbo Lily said...

Lovely weaving. You amaze me with your talents. I like fall too, but it's still very much summer here. Very hot and dry. Your sweater looks absolutely perfect for fall and winter.

GretchenJoanna said...

I have that very LLBean sweater! But mine is just gray gray. I wore it all. the. time. last winter. Well, I even wear it in the summer sometimes in our climate ;-)