Monday, April 8, 2019

That Time of Year

For some reason April and May become too busy for me. Various commitments pile on top of each other, and the calendar has more than the usual scribbles on it -- go to this party, do this concert, finish this project, etc. There's a tipping point where stress creeps in, when we're too busy. Before it's too much, I'll have to say "no" to some things. Besides, there's a grandbaby coming this summer, and that is more important than anything else!!
We had supper with some friends at their new home, and I had to take a picture of this super cool patio table!! It has a propane tank underneath that powers that lovely fire "pit." The fire flickers around all those clear stones. It's beautiful.
 The daffodils have gone back to sleep till next spring, but the azaleas are taking their place.
 I'm finally busy in the greenhouse, getting tomato seeds in their cells. I have lots of basil growing, and some baby oregano.
 I made my first batch of Healing Herb Ointment. I had customers asking, "When will it be ready?" "When the plantain has grown in the spring," I replied.
 One the shady side of the house is a brilliant ornamental cherry tree with a Japanese magnolia beside. Against the new red roof they were so pretty this year.

My little soap/lotion/art/yarn business has done well this winter even though I didn't go to the farmers market much. I'm thankful. The market was fabulous this past Saturday; life seems to be picking back up again in Oriental after Hurricane Florence and then the winter. It's a seasonal town. For those who don't live through devastating hurricanes every few years, it's hard to explain how LONG it takes for people to recover afterward. So many homes are still not livable, being raised, need roofs, etc. Many people went without a heating system this past winter.
Anyway, I must dedicate time to making lots of soap, and lotion bars against the coming mosquitoes, picking herbs for ointment, and painting more cards. Speaking of cards, here are a few from the past week. As ever, if you care to buy any, send me an email or leave a message and I'll get back to you. You can view an album of cards currently available if you click on the tab bar at the top of this blog. 





 (Actually, those blue eggs already sold, but I thought I'd share anyway. I'll do another one.)

And this one below I painted for myself. It's Punkin and Ethel who are, alas, no longer with us. I miss them.

15 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

As always, I love your water colors. The one of the trees was stunning.

M.K. said...

Thank you so much! Those are fun to do.

Lisa Richards said...

I love the third one down. At first, I thought it was seashells, but then I decided it's sort of abstract? Really pretty use of paint and pen! Have fun with all of your work/projects!

Tanza Erlambang said...

beautiful cherry blossom...
have a great day

M.K. said...

Thank you, Lisa! Again, it was a prompt video from CeeCee. She did the single globe, and then I went on from there. Kinda outer space ... to me. Sea shells are a really good idea! Thanks :)

M.K. said...

Thank you! You too :)

happyone said...

Your house looks so cozy there nestled in there. :)
The daffodils are gone by you and I just saw the first one here this morning!!

Granny Marigold said...

The pink Azaleas are amazing. I used to think I didn't care for them but now I think it's Rhododendrons I'm not fond of.
I think the blue eggs in the nest is pretty. It makes me think of Marjolein Bastin.

M.K. said...

Thank you :) Our house is slowly getting "cozy" for us. It needed lots of work! I do wish we could do daffodils all over again. It's always sad to watch the bulbs bloom and pass, and know it will be a whole year before we see them again. Enjoy!

M.K. said...

Oh, thank you, GM! Her artwork is absolutely gorgeous. I'd love to learn how to do that rich, full look.

GretchenJoanna said...

Oh! the azaleas! Oh! the magnolia! And I'm excited about all of your creative works, which work in tandem with God's gifts, like your greenhouse bursting-forth. I think I missed my greenhouse opportunity when I was ill (twice), and now I'll have to plant those seeds in the ground or wait for next year...

M.K. said...

GJ - do whatever you can to enjoy growing things this year. I'm sorry you were sick :( If you have seeds - put them in the ground I say! They will do better rathern than waiting a year.

Henny Penny said...

I'm late visiting, as usual. Been a little sick lately. I love the picture of your house with those trees in front. That new red roof really looks nice. Isn't spring beautiful! The daffodils have all gone from here too and I miss them. They sure were pretty this year.

Una said...

You must have the right soil for azaleas. Yours are so healthy. If I try to grow them, they last a year before getting sickly. That blossom is special as well.

Pom Pom said...

Your painting is super lovely, MK!
I can't wait for you to be a granny. You're going to love it.
I hope your Holy Week is wonderful! Sending heaps of love.