Friday, May 17, 2019

Various Pretty Things

 The yellow iris
 When some flowers are spent, others begin.

Nature crafted a lovely archway along the back fence of the farm.
 The herb beds are looking better. Now everything is blooming. Thyme:
 The gorgeous thing blooming is the cilantro.
 Above, the new herb bed is in the foreground, and the old bed is in the distance.
See all that cilantro?
cilantro and dill -- so pretty together
 And I've discovered something about my cilantro going to seed (which I love for it to do). When the tiny round seeds dry and turn brown, they are called coriander. But I wondered about them when they are still bright green on the stalks. Do they taste like cilantro? So I stripped a handful off and  munched them ...
... and they were perfectly, lightly crunchy, and tasted wonderfully of cilantro! Delicious! I want them in an avocado dip.
 Mother's Day flowers from Julia:

 This darling little boy outfit comes from WalMart. The elephant ear flaps :)
 I'm still painting cards. Julia liked this one.
 Last but not least, we handed over the little Suzuki to Julia, and after saving for a year we bought this used Chevrolet from a friend. Isn't she beautiful?

11 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

I LOVE that green archway that nature made! :) That card is very cool. I love the pen work! Glad to see everyone has "new" (to them) wheels! Lots of green loveliness!

GretchenJoanna said...

I love that yellow iris! I used to have yellow bearded iris in my old garden... hmmm... I don't remember what happened to it.

I almost bought cilantro plants or seeds at the nursery today. But I'm short on space, and already have no where to plant the two types of basil and the zucchini, until I harvest the favas -- and that looks like a lot of work. I remember when I grew cilantro it went to seed before I used it. I like coriander seed, but we wanted the fresh leaves for our burritos or something.

That's a lovely view through the arch, of more farmland, I take it?

M.K. said...

It's SO nice to have a newer car! Now I can take road trips again, plus our college girl doesn't need to be retrieved across the state :)

M.K. said...

Yes, GJ, that's a great big mono-culture farm back there. This year it's in corn. But the view across the field is lovely. One thing we are not short on is space for growing things, but it involves so much work -- mowing anything that's not beds, and weeding anything that is! I even have cilantro coming up in the lawn.

happyone said...

That yellow iris sure is beautiful.
Best of luck with the new car.

Granny Marigold said...

I like your new car! And your lovely yellow Iris. i love that Iris ask for so little and faithfully bloom year after year.
I grow Cilantro for my rabbit but neither I nor my DH like it. I wonder if its true that liking or hating Cilantro is in your genes.

M.K. said...

Thank you, Karen!

M.K. said...

I've heard that too, GM. And it seems true among my friends - they either love or hate it. I LOVE it and could nibble it in the garden all day :)

magsmcc said...

All beautiful!

Henny Penny said...

It is so pretty around your farm. I LOVE the natural archway, and the herbs, and yellow iris. I have the hardest time growing thyme. It lives for a while then dies away. That is a nice looking car!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Looks so good there. Love that natural archway, what is covering it or making it?

Have a nice holiday tomorrow ~ FlowerLady