Saturday, March 28, 2020

An (Un)welcome Distraction

Remember how I figured out my toothache? I spoke too soon. Yesterday (Friday) it ached a little again. By afternoon it was decidedly sore. Last night I slept about an hour, and that badly. I was in pain!
A good toothache can take your mind off of even Covid-19. All I could think of was contacting my dentist and finding relief for the pain, which wasn't responding to Tylenol and Advil. 
The long and short is this: my dentist did come through, I got good advice about pain relief, and I got some penicillin. I'm on the mend and so, so thankful!

While the world of humanity seems to be taking a hard punch in the gut and a left-cross on the chin, the world of nature is blissfully unaware. Do you see her out there, blooming away? The seasons turn and the world spins on, God's promise to us that He loves us in spite of the suffering that comes our way. I think this worldwide suffering will change us -- I hope. We needed changing.
 Our prettiest tree

As I sit here typing, Adam is recording his video he'll send out to our congregation tomorrow, full of Scripture. I've found that nothing else is as comforting as simply Scripture - not painting, not movies, not snacks, not music even, not naps. Scripture soothes my heart instantly.

I did another painting. Tried to record it, but flubbed it.
This is Priscilla Shellcrack. I'm beginning the long labor of repainting much of the art that goes in my little picture books. We need art that is better quality and is not on a page with the text.
After not sleeping last night, today has been unusually unproductive. I've lain on the couch watching Father Brown. Last night in the wee hours I finished reading Nine Coaches Waiting.

I am thankful for my dentist's help. All the other medical personnel everywhere are doing their best to help us too. We will develop better medicines, better treatments, we'll produce more PPE, and then we'll have a vaccine. All we must do is wait.

(Last note -- I JUST found a whole bunch of comments from various of you that I didn't know existed!! Yikes! I'm truly horrible at keeping track of comments. I apologize!)

9 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I'm so relieved that your dentist was able to help you with the awful pain.
I love Priscilla Shellcrack's name!! She herself is kinda cute too.
Could that be an Easter Cactus bloom in the last picture?

happyone said...

Oh that first picture is gorgeous!!!
The thing I miss most of all is going to church and our church family.
It is such a blessing though to be able to see the services live on FB.

GretchenJoanna said...

Oh, I am glad that your dentist could help you on the weekend!! There is probably nothing than an aching tooth.

Your story illustrations are full of character! It's nice to meet Priscilla :-)

Lisa Richards said...

Your painting style just keeps on evolving! Love this squirrely painting! How is your book coming with the little shrew character? I agree, scripture is the best thing. God bless and hope that toothache clears up completely!

Una said...

What a great dentist you have. I once had to phone mine on a Saturday. I was in agony. He only agreed to open up when I said I was taking painkillers every hour and they weren't working. He turned up in his rugby gear, to make a point!

I sometimes leave comments on blogs and receive a strange email telling me that they couldn't be delivered. But when I check the blogs, the comments are there. Mystery!

Kezzie said...

I'm SO glad you managed to see the dentist! I was really worried last week as I was starting to get sensitive tooth and toothache around a previous problematic wisdom tooth. So glad it is has decided to pipe down a bit.
Your squirrel is beautiful! What a beautiful painting! Clever you!
Yes, we do all need to change. I wish all the horrid youths who think it is funny to cough on old people and police would also realise this need to change!

Pom Pom said...

I love Miss Shellcrack! She's adorable with those fat thighs!
I'm glad you have meds and relief from the toothache!
I'm going to bake muffins today. Meatballs in marinara for dinner.
You are so right. God's WORD is what our souls need now.

Retired Knitter said...

Hard times for all of us. Finding comfort is an individual thing. I find comfort in the fact (as you recognized) that spring is blooming despite our human drama right now. Take care and stay well.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I am so sorry about your toothache. I, too, am flirting with one. I had an appt late March that I cancelled because we had been on vacation in a very crowded place. I rescheduled. Then they called and cancelled that one so here I sit, praying for our country, our president, our healthcare workers and my tooth! Quite the prayer load for sure! Stay safe and well.