Wednesday, March 4, 2020

I Wore My Legs Out ...

... already this morning!

I jumped in the car early and went to Family Dollar, Dollar General, and WalMart, all within 7 minutes of my house. In addition to a few groceries, I wanted to see 1) if they had any hand sanitizer left, and 2) if they had aloe vera gel so I could make my own hand sanitizer. 
If you hadn't heard, there's a virus spreading around the world. The first case came to North Carolina yesterday. I figured it would be good to be prepared, and if we don't need it, I can always sell it, right? I wouldn't be worried much, since I'm in my 50s and and healthy, but Adam has had asthma for decades, and his lungs are already compromised. I want him to keep the coronavirus at bay!

Oh - I meant to say, WalMart was sold out of hand sanitizer. Family Dollar still had one kind left. I did find aloe vera gel -- it's chock full of various chemicals, but short of buying aloe plants and scraping the muck out of the middle of the leaves, I don't know how else to get pure gel. I'll combine the gel with some witch hazel, vitamin E oil, and essential oils, and hopefully be set for the next couple of months. Honestly I'm hoping that, here in the back-end-of-no-where in rural Pamlico County, the coronavirus won't find us. One can hope.

This week I'm also painting our church's road sign.
Nice bright new blue paint!
The paint was very faded and chipped. When Adam brought it home and lifted it onto the saw horses, the whole rounded top edge came off! So it needed repair. It's stood outside through many hurricanes, bless its heart. It will be bright and snazzy again! I don't know how many years since it was last painted. I got the first side done today, and standing on that cement in the garage "wore my legs plum out," as they say. I am on the couch now for the afternoon. The sign is made of wood full of knot holes and chips -- very uneven.

But it should look okay to anybody flying by at 45 mph.

I stopped by the library and picked up another Mary Stewart book.
I finished This Rough Magic. It was wonderful.

Y'all stay healthy out there! Especially dear Gretchen in north California. It seems that staying at home when you can, washing your hands frequently and well, and using hand sanitizer whenever you have been in public, is the best approach to keeping oneself and others healthy.  Sounds like wise advice. 

7 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Your church sign will be much better looking than before, I'm sure. Standing on concrete is so hard on the legs and also on the back!!
I have hand sanitizer around as a rule but prefer anti bacterial soap and hot water. We've had a number of cases of coronavirus here in BC including some deaths. It's kind of scary. But we're not going to panic just yet.
Nice that you're enjoying the Mary Stewart books. If I remember correctly she wrote a lot so you're set for reading material for a long time.

magsmcc said...

May you all stay well. My only worry is an asthmatic one for the boys. We're all doing just as you say. Everywhere locally is all sold out of hs, but I've seen an fb link to a make your own recipe, so I might investigate that! I heard a retired GP on the radio say that all we could do was prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I think that's the most helpful attitude, supplementing hoping with praying xx

Pom Pom said...

I haven't checked on the grocery store shelves to see if hand sanitizer is scarce. I will!
Drink lots of water. LOTS! Eat oranges galore. This too shall pass.

Lisa Richards said...

I like the rustic look of your church sign!
I may have to try a Mary Stewart novel. You seem to be enjoying her!
I'm kind of hoping, like you, that the virus won't find us here in the back woods.
My daughter has cement floors covered with laminate, and my legs always get so tired after visiting her. It's nice to put your feet up afterwards.
Wash those hands and try not to be anxious. That's what I'm planning to do! :)

Kezzie said...

My Mum has made her own hand sanitizer! I probably should be a bit more cautious as I have had asthma in the past and I have had respiratory issues in the past but I'm just plodding along as usual. It's horrible to hear about the Corona! They just confirmed a case really near to where I live!

Granny Marigold said...

Apparently my comments are not registering again. Just so you know that I'm reading your posts and if this one also fails I'll e mail you.

Una said...

I bought witch hazel today and just used it neat on my hands and face. A quick follow-up with skin cream and I should be safe from drying out like a prune. The ladies in my keep fit classes have been using vodka and aloe vera gel. But I read up on this yesterday and it is very complicated to get the necessary percentages correct. I'll stick to soap, water and witch hazel for now.