Saturday, November 28, 2020

Advent: Simple and Small

 Thanksgiving was simple and small this year. We love our huge Thanksgiving feast at church with dozens of guests ... but. But it was so nice to have a little break from that, at home. Just us. Simple and small.

Tolkien said, "It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life." 

A friend on facebook wrote recently, "There really does seem to be a push to always do more."

The pandemic has done many horrible things, but it's also pushed some of us toward simplicity against our will. Pushed us home, pushed us to family, pushed us to spend less and do less, pushed us outdoors.

Advent is a time of waiting and anticipation. Can it also be a time of rest and peace? For Mary, it should've been both -- anticipation and resting -- but it wasn't. I doubt if she had much peace or rest, leaving Nazareth on foot, walking the 90+ miles. Why didn't she stay home in Nazareth with her mother, to have the baby? Why did she have to go with Joseph? What a terrible time to travel!

I long for a peaceful, quiet, waiting Advent this year, of all years. Simple and small. A year when I at last put away the bad habit of "pushing myself to always do more." Over-doing is a bad habit, and it helps no one.

Exodus 16: 17,18 says that when manna first fell from heaven for the Israelites, "some gathered much and some gathered little." Like humans today, some were over-achievers, and some were rather lazy. They'd been told to gather just enough: a daily portion for each person.

But when their portions were weighed, neither their over-achieving nor their laziness mattered; "every man gathered as much as he should eat." God arranged it so that each person had just enough.

I've been pondering that all week since Adam's sermon on Sunday. Are we killing ourselves with over-work, to no benefit? Spinning our wheels and calling ourselves productive? There's such pressure to produce and perform! 

I'll end with some photos and then a link to my youtube channel, in case some of you want to check out the latest. I hope you can taken a moment to rest and reflect on the peace of Advent.

Thanksgiving dinner
Pumpkin pie




Our sanctuary, prepared for Advent:

And a couple of youtube videos~

I go on two adventures near my home:


I travel further afield to the mountains, and make chai:



Blessings and peace to all you, dear friends!

5 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

Oh yes! Totally agree on the positives that this pandemic has force us to recognize and accept. I suspect that when it is finally under control and we aren't "forced" into behaving in a certain way, some of us (like me) will continue to enjoy the slower way, less crazy way of living. Lovely post.

Lisa Richards said...

Yeah, I like simple. :) Happy Advent!

Granny Marigold said...

I like that Tolkien quote. My life is definitely a simple one. Maybe my word for the new year should be Celebrate.
I've often wondered why oh why Mary chose to accompany Joseph when she was so near the end of her pregnancy. Surely she could have stayed home or at her parent's home.
Have a blessed 1st Advent.

Henny Penny said...

I enjoyed reading this post, every word. "Killing ourselves with over-work, to no benefit", made me think about myself. Yep, that's me! Your Thanksgiving meal looks delicious. Wish I had that plate right now. :)

Kezzie said...

I loved this! I agree- the pandemic has given us time. That is good. I don't mind not rushing about so much. I AM missing music events but I am enjoying restful weekends.
Really liked the video- the cards are beautiful!