Friday, April 30, 2021

Busy, busy!

 Hi, friends. It seems that spring is sprung (as they say), and now we are creeping into those warmer days ... not summer yet, but we can see it from here! Mowing, gardening, air conditioning, light cotton skirts and cool showers. Let me see if I can catch you up on some of our highlights lately.

I took Adam to Beaufort, NC, for his birthday. We stayed overnight at a nice Bed and Breakfast hotel with a view of the water. After a year of illness and staying at home so much, it was strange and wonderful to eat at restaurants (outside on their porch/decks, by the water). The weather was windy and cool, but we had a most delightful, restful time.



Adam's riding mower is broken right now, and we have awaited three (!!!) mower parts to repair it. So the buttercups and clover are abundant and high, and the yard and pasture smell amazing. I am nervous of snakes (haven't seen any though), so  wear my tall farm boots and WADE through the blooms. It's really rather magical.

Julia is finishing up her last year of college, just a bit more to go. That's an important milestone that I don't want to pass unmentioned. We've been educating children since about 1995. Is that 26 years or so? We're very proud of her; she's a very dedicated student. She's getting a Bachelors Degree in Psychology.


Adam is doing major work on our back deck! He's putting in a new flight of stairs, giving us easy access to the cars, but also plans to build a cooking area (grill, cooktop) out there too. I'm quite excited.


As usual, I'm spending much of my time painting, tending chickens, making wares for the market, and fiddling with yarn. I'm spinning again (sigh - that makes me happy!) It does feel that things are slowly returning to something that feels old and familiar. What a relief! I ate lunch (on the restaurant porch) with 3 friends yesterday, without masks. We are all fully vaccinated. Hooray! Tomorrow our church will gather at one family's creek-side home and have a big picnic on their lawn. We've done this twice during Covid, but it was so much fun, we're doing it again. In July, we hope to have a potluck dinner indoors at the church -- just about everyone in our church has been fully vaccinated for a while now. 

Some of you may wonder how Adam is doing and would like a health update. His steroid intake now is very low, and soon he will wean off it entirely. He has been able to lose a bit of weight, and his doctor is rather pleased with him. His attitude is good. He remains on extremely high dosage of immunosuppressant medication every day. This puts him at great risk for getting viruses especially (of all kinds), so he must be more careful than most people, probably for the rest of his life. He will continue to wear a mask. It's preferable to being in the hospital from catching a flu bug! He now has esophagitis and and gastritis rather badly. That is inflammation of the esophagus and of the stomach. Many foods now make him feel quite sick, and he must avoid them -- dairy, sugar/sweets, heavy meats like beef, and on and on. Cooking has become problematic, although he is perfecting his sourdough recipe.

But we are thankful for so much and are doing fine. The upcoming months should bring visits with family again, and we are thrilled about that. I'll end with a few photos of some cards I've painted, and maybe a few youtube videos for those who would like to watch.




Thank you for dropping by! Take care!

Making insect-repellent lotion bars:


Our vacation to Beaufort:


Spinning again .. and lots of other things:



7 comments:

gretchenjoanna said...

My goodness, the clover and buttercups DO look like out of a fairytale. Adam's hair is beautiful and he could go into a storybook, too! You might write one with a snake in it.

He must feel SO happy to be able to work around the place again. He certainly liked your mini vacation, that is easy to see!

Granny Marigold said...

It's lovely to have a blog post bringing us up-to-date with what's happening at Red Robin Farm. You've been busy!! I haven't seen the latest videos that you posted but hope to soon. I think next to December, April and early May are the busiest times.
I can't get over your perfectly lovely strawberries. Yum.
Congratulations and best wishes to Julia ( and to you and Adam...finally finished with the cost of college!!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

It's great to read/see this newsy post from you. Adam looks like Santa. May he grow stronger with each new day. Glad you've been able to have nice times out. Strawberries look yummy, I love your rose, and the back stairs will be great. It sounds like you are staying busy and your watercolors are lovely! Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

Lisa Richards said...

I enjoyed the videos! That was such a pretty little inn. You guys were making me hungry with all the good food! I've been a glutton lately and triggered the acid reflux monster, so I'm back on a bland diet. But you made me so hungry that I treated myself to a bowl of blueberry oatmeal with vanilla almond milk. :) The insect repellent bars look like fun to make! Have fun with your spinning and weaving!

Henny Penny said...

Oh my goodness, your field of buttercups and clover is just beautiful. I would hate to mow it down. I've finally started to mow. It was getting pretty snaky looking here. Glad you and Adam had a nice get-away for his birthday. Sure sounds like fun and you both look so happy. You both sure stay busy!

Pom Pom said...

Hi MK! Jolly the Postman is at Lisa's (two posts) since he launched from my house (one post)! He'll go to Indiana and then come to you!
I'm glad Adam is doing so much better! Your painting is lovely! I can't wait to see your drawings and paintings in the Jolly book!
Take care! Love! Love!

Retired Knitter said...

So glad your husband is doing well. Fingers crossed that continues.