Wednesday, May 19, 2021

There and Back Again, As They Say ...

 Adam and I took a trip to West Virginia last week to see my mother (at last! after 16 months!) and my brothers and two sisters-in-law and one nephew. It was lovely. It was chilly. It had been way too long, not only since visiting dear family but since seeing the state I love.

(As an aside, the greatest obstacle to my blogging these days is the difficulty uploading photos. Google's storage limit keeps me from connecting my phone photos directly to Google Photos now, so it's a pain to get photos all the way over here to blogland!)

Here's the view from my mother's front porch:

We did go out to eat once, but otherwise we mostly enjoyed the beauty of my mother's home and my brother's farm. He has baby lambs!
Those are bottle-fed lambs from sets of triples or quads, whose mothers could not manage them all.

I've been saving my figs from last summer in my freezer, having promised my dear mother that I'd make her LOTS of fig preserves (with many, many lemon slices) to last her at least a couple of months.

I've never been much of a fig fan, but I think she's converted me. It's delicious on morning toast. When my figs ripen this summer, perhaps I'll make a few pints for myself.
Mother's doing pretty well for her age. Beau gave her a brief moment of affection.

It was hard to say good-bye!

Now we're back to our usual routine. My little "side business" of soaps/lotions/watercolor cards has grown slowly over the past year, and now I find that it takes much of my time each day. I am constantly making something. I paint for 2 -3 hours each morning, make skin care products after that, and try to film for my youtube channel along the way. 
Oh! Let me share my latest weaving project -- 2 little baby blankets for my two precious grandsons, woven on one warp. It was challenging because I don't weave often and make lots of mistakes. 

There will be youtube videos of both the WVa trip and the baby blanket weave, but they're not quite ready yet ... almost!
Sorry I've been so absent, and thank you for dropping by.



5 comments:

gretchenjoanna said...

Everyone is beautiful, the humans, the lambs - and every thing! The jam and -- the blankets are gorgeous.

Nice to go, nice to come home <3

Granny Marigold said...

16 months since you were able to give your sweet Mom a hug. Yes, that's too long.
I love the view from your Mom's front porch. And those lambs...how cute. I knew ewea sometimes had triplets but I had no idea they could have FOUR.

You fig preserves look wonderful. If only I had never heard that every single fig has at least one dead wasp in it. That really spoilt them for me. ( yes, I know. I'm silly that way.)
The woven baby blankets look great. Love the colour.
I'll be by Youtube soon to watch your videos. Being outside a lot has cut into my computer time but summer is like that. Take care, GM

Una said...

Just been catching up on your blog. Great to see that both of you seem to be full of energy again. I love following all your projects. Adam really rocks that beard!

Lisa Richards said...

Glad you got to see your mom and family. I enjoyed the weaving video. Such pretty colors! Your side business really is becoming a full-time job! Your creations must be in demand. I hope it's fun for you. Happy summer, you two! :)

Henny Penny said...

I'm so glad you went home to West Virginia and spent time with your beautiful Mother and family. She has such a pretty home. West Virginia; I would love to live there. My granddaughter just may stay there after graduating college...she loves it too. Can you believe after all the wet weather we had...we are now in desparate need of rain. Good to see a post from you.