Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Pursuing Peace

 I've been quite busy lately, and remiss about blogging. Isn't the cooler weather delicious? I'm outside a bit more now. I've also had a significant positive change in my health -- I've cut sugar and many carbs out of my diet. Oh My Goodness! It's been about two and a half weeks now, and I feel like my old self (nearly). 

One of our healthy meals

Gradually, I was feeling more and more fatigued, so much so that I could not function well after lunch. I pushed myself, but I had minimal energy. And I hurt so much. My back and torso were achy, and often my legs also.

Now I have good energy all day long and don't hurt anymore. Apparently the pain was caused by inflammation, a result of the sugars and processed foods I was eating. What a difference!

All that to say, I was able to do some real work today. I'm refurbishing a lovely chair that we nearly put on the burn pile. It's large, solid wood, and very loungy. I'll have to buy foam for the cushions, and upholstery fabric, and sew it all up. Quite a challenge! I've never done that before.

I'm also getting a handle on my front porch, which has been wrapped in heavy plastic for years, and is packed to the gills with junk.

I have a new, large storage closet in the little house, and much of this junk is going over there. (It's not junk exactly, of course. The true junk is being thrown away.)
I moved much junk off this side of the porch today!

Here's a youtube video I posted today.


It's about trying to find a bit of peace in a tumultuous world. I've often been told to read Scripture to find peace. And that can work ... but the purpose of Scripture is often to convict me of sin. I'm not sure that its purpose it to give me peace. The Holy Spirit gives peace, but He also convicts. It's a thorny subject. 

I do feel peace when I go outside and walk in the pasture or watch my chickens or fiddle with some project out there. Perhaps summer is difficult because I don't go out in the heat. Spinning is also a lovely, peaceful activity, and my spinning wheel is my new peaceful friend.


I've been walking each morning in a neighborhood, listening to music as I go, and reminding myself that, even though I dislike exercise, walking in a beautiful, peaceful spot is not really exercise, right?

Perhaps I'm better at knowing what doesn't give me peace, than what does. And if I avoid the things fraught with discord, I will be a few steps closer.

6 comments:

Sandi said...

This post was an unexpected blessing. Thank you.

Retired Knitter said...

Oh yes, I hear you. Finding peace for me is always attached to being closer to nature. Walks outside in areas with few people or time spent with animals is the key for me. Not constructs of humans. Sadly I am not close to any of those options.

annie said...

MK, I watched your video when you posted it and thought it was terrific. I loved seeing your hens, they are fun to watch as you said. I also enjoy your yarn you have been making. Some of the colors are so appealing.
I hope Adam does well in his new job, and that his health will improve even more. I need to cut out sugar too, seems like I do good for awhile then fall back into it. I admire you for getting rid of it.
Hope to see the chair when it is done.
Scripture can help give you peace but I think I hold out on it sometimes because I am stubborn and want it to say what I think it should, totally selfish of me but there I said it! :) But what I have learned is that if I ask God for peace then in a miraculous way it will come maybe not all at once or like a big bombshell dropping on me, but it will come even through His word. So I have learned to seek it just like you are doing out in your meadow.
Great peace have those who love thy law and nothing shall offend them.That includes the conviction it can bring. Hugs & blessings.

Granny Marigold said...

Avoiding the things that are fraught with discord is definitely a big step towards peace in our lives. It's great to know you're feeling better and have more energy ( and less pain). A Willow structure sounds very interesting. I have never heard of one before. We planted a number of Japanese Willows in Spring (if I remember correctly they are Hakura Nichi??) Anyway, they have grown WAY beyond what we were expecting so what we'll do with them remains to be seen. Unfortunately we don't have acres otherwise we'd just let them grow. I think these will have pink leaves in Spring.

GretchenJoanna said...

I loved looking at your pasture, pine tree, willow dome-to-be. How many acres do you have there? It seems vast.

magsmcc said...

Our Prince of Peace is also The Word. But walking and scrunching and breathing outside is full of Him too x