Tuesday, September 7, 2021

The Pleasure of Achy Muscles

 I was commiserating with a friend recently about how horrible it's been to be housebound for the past 4-6 weeks. We've been confined in our homes because of the summer heat. By the end of August I begin to question whether I love the outdoors, because I don't go there. I think longingly of farm work on chilly days wearing a barn coat.

The other sad effect of hibernating in front of the air conditioners is a softening of the muscles. I've always been a rather strong girl, from a line of strong West Virginia women. We're an outdoorsy lot and enjoy a bit of physical labor. I enjoy tearing things down, hauling brush to burn piles, clearing limbs, raking leaves, and yanking out weeds -- as long as it's 70 degrees or cooler!

We're nearly there! The last two mornings I've hauled all kinds of debris from our old, massive burn pile. I've dragged tree limbs to a new burn pile location (in the big field). I've dug out lots of rusted metal scraps from items we burned in the old pile. I've dug out and wheel-barrowed away many loads of old ash. It was fun! I wish my body would let me do more of it. 

Why clear out our farm burn pile location? Because we want to transform it into a NICE fire pit, the kind with paving stones around it and camp chairs, where you can safely sit and roast marshmallows. This would be a lovely addition to our pecan grove area, and if we ever do turn that part of the farm into a Hip Camp location, the guests would enjoy it also.

Do you remember the Great Mysterious Hole we found in our house lot? Here's a link, if you want to read about it. In the end we concluded that it was probably a boot-legger's hole from years ago, but we're still not sure. It's become unsafe for Adam to drive the riding mower over, so we decided to uncover it again, fill it with all that metal debris from the burn pile, plus the ash, and close it up again. 

So that's where I've been hauling all the stuff too. Shovel, haul, dump, repeat. I came inside an hour ago and my muscles were not screaming at me. They were humming, awake, saying, "Ah! I remember this work! I've missed this!" It's that gentle achiness that actually feels good, so long as you don't push yourself too far.

I'm much too old for heavy work, but I don't want to become a couch-sitting ball of mush either. I'm ready for the days of barn coat and burn piles and geese calling overhead.

Hello, autumn.

4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

When we built our house here there was an old well that we filled up much like you're doing. Over the past 40 some years the ground keeps sinking as stuff decomposes.
I'm glad your temperatures are finally getting a bit more reasonable. Don't work too hard.

Pom Pom said...

Good girl! It's hot here, too. I fear that I'll be saying it's too cold when the temperatures drop! Spoiled!

Lisa Richards said...

That sounds like my kind of work! Always something to do on the farm! I need to go back and read your link about the Hip Camp. No idea what that is. :) I agree, it feels good to work enough to get some sore muscles and feel like you're challenging your body a little. I felt draggy on my walk this morning, but after a nap I feel great! I am glad autumn is here. I spent a lot of time indoors looking out the window this summer, too! Hugs from Minnesota!

GretchenJoanna said...

I know just how you feel! Every time I stack a cord of firewood I feel ten years younger. I did not know about HipCamp and I'm so intrigued to know about the site! Thank you!