Thursday, April 25, 2019

Adam's Birthday

We celebrated Adam's birthday this week with a day off from other responsibilities. We took the ferry to Morehead and Beaufort.

I chose a new restaurant, Pita Plate. It's rated #1 in Morehead with TripAdvisor.
 I enjoyed the cushions on the wall-side of our booth.
 We were the first ones there.
Absolutely delicious gyro!

 We each ordered hot tea. Mine was cardomom. Adam's was white refreshing tea, which we discovered was orange blossom tea with some lemon. It was fabulous.

We finished our lunch with a cupcake.



Then we drove to Beaufort, where we've been quite often, to check out a little hotel/B-and-B for future reference. It's the Inlet Inn. We used to go for overnight breaks at B-and-B's about once yearly, but it's difficult now with the dogs and chickens. The Inlet Inn is very reasonable, and only 36 rooms, so it has a more personal touch.

Then we drove back to Lowe's to shop for perennial plants for the yard.
Coreopsis. Phlox. Dianthus. Verbena.
 Caladium for the shade bed
 4 Lantanas to replace the ones that died
 The only annuals are marigolds for the tire beds on either side of the driveway -- a burst of color.
I found a large lavender (Munstead, I think) that had fallen and burst its pot, and had no label. It was greatly reduced. I have 4 lavender plants now, raised high in huge tire beds in the veggie garden. I have high hopes they might survive! I've had such rotten luck with lavender here.

Adam said he preferred me to paint a birthday card. So I painted Beau snoozing on the back of the couch, his favorite place.

 You don't get to read the rest of the card :)
But this afternoon when Adam was gone to New Bern, Beau took up his usual spot when Adam is gone. 
Staring at the back door. 
Waiting for his favorite person to return. 
A nervous wreck. 
You can tell by the ears in the air!

11 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

What a great day you had planned!! Food and plants, all that was missing was a trip to a thrift store.
I had no idea what a gyro might be so of course I googled it only to find that, first of all it's not pronounced like I was saying it ( in my head). Who would have suspected it is
YEE -ros and is mostly meat ( not for yours truly, obviously).
Cute card and a great painting of beau.

Lisa Richards said...

Happy birthday to Adam! My son-in-law Adam's birthday is today. Your birthday lunch looked scrumptious! Nice birthday card. Keep up the gardening fun. I'm too tired, lol. But I like to watch YOU work! :)

magsmcc said...

Happy Birthday, Adam, all the way from here x

M.K. said...

I will relay your greetings from afar!

M.K. said...

Haha! Lisa, the morning that I put in those plants wore me OUT for 2 days. Ugh!

M.K. said...

A thrift store trip would've been perfect :) Thanks, GM.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Belated Happy Birthday to Adam. It looks like you had a wonderful day celebrating and I love gyros with fries. Tzatziki sauce is fantastic!!! Your card is sweet.

FlowerLady

M.K. said...

Thank you, FL! I hope your spring is happy and your gorgeous roses are blooming for you!!

happyone said...

A very happy birthday to Adam.
Glad you enjoyed your meal out. Looks delicious.
Beautiful flowers.

Gumbo Lily said...

Happy Birthday to Adam! What a wonderful day you had. I love the card.

Pom Pom said...

What a fun birthday! Beau is a sweet little Pom Pom boy.