Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Third and Last Williamsburg

The annual passes to Colonial Williamsburg that Adam bought us for Christmas 2017 are due to expire at the end of this month, so we squeezed in one more day-trip! It's tiring to drive 4 hours up and 4 hours back the same day, but it's worth it. Beau went along.
 Gardens
Fox glove, or digitalis
 


 I told the gardeners they could come to my house next.

 Our lunch spot:


 Some of the buildings we visited: 
Colonial Governor's Palace
Inside the palace:
Ball room
an organ


the supper room

The housekeeper's workroom, I believe.
Look at that shelving!

I broke the rules by taking a picture on the staircase!


That's my kind of cupboard.

Across the market square
 Inside the courtroom -- I sat as one of 12 justices of the peace, deciding cases against 1) a man accused of skipping church, 2) a man accused of gambling and being idle, 3) a man not doing his job by keeping up a public road.
 I enjoyed chatting with this marvelous weaver.
 At the George Wythe house:



 This actor brilliantly portrayed General LaFayette for us in the Wythe house.
 We had fun. I'm sure we'll return to the area and to Williamsburg. These trips have been a lovely gift from my hubby to me, and a delightful time together.


8 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

You sure packed a lot in one day considering the 8 hours of driving time. All the flowers are beyond beautiful. I was surprised at the dark colours the walls in the Governor's Palace were painted. I always like to see the insides of old houses. I noticed the housekeeper's storeroom had a convenient cot just in case she got tired from polishing all those glasses. Nice that you ended your post with the delightful pics of you and Adam.

Lisa Richards said...

Fun to see Williamsburg! I bet you had fun picking that weaver's brain! Glad you had a good time! :)

Retired Knitter said...

One of our favorite places to go. Spent our honeymoon there - almost 50 years ago,

Kezzie said...

Oh what a lovely place!!! What a thoughtful present from Adam. I loved seeing all the sights and hearing about what you saw- the justice cases sound interesting!

Pom Pom said...

You guys are cutie pies! That looked like a fun trip.

magsmcc said...

You know, MK, often God speaks to me through everyone's blogs, and sometimes he speaks up. I've just come from Ang's housekeeper's room, Gretchen Joanna's slow day, and here is another housekeeper's room. Time to stop and think, methinks. I think I know where this is going!

Henny Penny said...

This is such a good post. Williamsburg is a pretty place. Dan and I have been once, but didn't see much. I don't remember why. :) I love those last two pictures of you and Adam.

Una said...

Those gardens are stunning. I love this time of year.