Thursday, January 23, 2020

A Poem a Day in Winter

I'm keeping a candle lit on the table throughout January.
A blogging friend, Michelle DeRusha, writes and sends out encouraging newsletters. She's taken on a challenge in January: to write one poem each day.

I used to write poetry. I felt convicted. Why not write a poem each day? I know why I stopped writing poems -- because I didn't think they were good enough. I'd rather write no poems than write bad poems.

But Michelle was honest: she's no poet. She doesn't expect to write one brilliant poem. She's writing them for fun, and some will be better and some will be worse. How can that be a bad thing?

She's right. So I took her up on the challenge about a week ago. I've written 8 poems so far, one each day. Some are okay. Most are bad. I may not share a single one here. But I thought I'd ask you all -- would you consider writing a little poem each day for a month? I'm calling mine "Winter Poems." They're simply numbered. I hate coming up with a name for a poem. If nobody ever read yours, you could write whatever you wanted! I think we should all give it a try.
The Neuse River yesterday, while crossing on the ferry to Havelock.

4 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

I think art and writing poetry can be just for our own enjoyment. Why not? Have fun with your poetry! I think I most enjoy haiku. The challenge of making meaning in a very limited amount of space. The funnier they are the better. :)
One of the things I enjoy about making and trading Artist Trading Cards is that the "artists" are from all stages and abilities in their art journey. I appreciate the work of beginners and professional grade artists equally. Just knowing someone put effort into a piece of art.

Granny Marigold said...

MK, I'm having a problem with my comments not going through. On a couple of posts I went back to check, found my comment had not gone through so I commented a second time. Nothing. So I'll try once more.
I wonder if anyone else is having the same problem or is it just me?

On the subject of poems. Just today youngest son sent me three poems he wrote recently. The trouble is I never understand hid poems. As for me I have NO talent at all in that area. Good for you though, for giving it a try.

Retired Knitter said...

I probably would be ok with writing a poem occasionally. Never tried it but I think I could. But the challenge is every day. I bought a 5 years diary in December. Basically 4 or 5 lines to write everyday. In addition the diary even provided a prompt so it wasn't just open ended. I have succeeded to write SOMETHING about 50% of the time. I am giving my self a pass that some days are totally empty thinking that this is a habit I am trying to create and there are 5 YEARS of opportunities. Hoping for the best in that regard. So I won't be joining you on the poetry challenge - my other challenge is enough challenge for me right now.

OR maybe I'll try a few lines of a poem in my 5 year diary. Who knows? :-)

mdiber05 said...

I will! And they're sure to be bad! I love poetry but I know my strength is prose. And if there are rules for poetry, I don't want to know them. I wouldn't be able to keep them! So I'm starting a good week behind you. Does that mean you'll keep going til! I. done, too??