Tuesday, September 8, 2020

We're Under 90!

"Under 90 what?" you ask.

Under 90 degrees! Hooray! Actually, our highs all this week are mid 80s, and next Monday the high temperature will be 81. What a relief! 

The chickens are glad too. It's been hot out there. Henny Penny is still in the coop with the two babies. She is unwilling to leave them, and they are too young to be in the pen. They'll be 2 weeks tomorrow.

See that cute stubby little tail? And  also on the black one by the post? And see how the wing feathers go almost all the way back to the tail? Both those things tell me that both these chicks are likely females -- pullets. That's good news! Two more egg-layers!

Adam   s  l  o  w  c  o  o  k  e  d    a Boston butt pork roast for Labor Day lunch on the grill.

It was SO good. That rub on the outside was delicious. We paired it with cole slaw, corn, and mashed potatoes.


He doesn't have lots of energy these days, but one day this past week he felt good enough to start making some concrete leaves, using elephant ear leaves as the molds. He did this a few years ago, remember? That's over on the Red Robin Farm blog.

We've been taking it easy. Adam has good days and bad days ... more good than bad, I'm happy to say. We're able to get the important things done, and some things have to be left to the wayside, saved for later, and that's okay. It's one of those periods in life when one must attend to what's important, and his health is important.

I've been spending an inordinate amount of time taking and editing videos for my new youtube channel, "M.K. Christiansen" The editing process is full of mistakes and confusion, haha! Slowly, it will improve. Anyway, here's one about making shampoo bars (which are great!):


And here's the most recent, and most fraught-with-difficulty video, about how I try to get back into combing and spinning alpaca fleece. What a comedy of errors that has been!


Some of you, I know, are way too busy to sit through these things. But if you've broken your leg, or are otherwise laid up in bed, and are sick of the shows on Netflix, let me entertain you, haha!

My younger daughter has requested I make her a scarf with the alpaca yarn, so now I have a purpose. That always keeps me going!

Much love, all. Take care out there in the crazy world.



4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I know nothing about preparing fleece etc. but I am impressed with your efforts. I had an uncle who built spinning wheels and I could have had one but it has never been 'my thing'.

magsmcc said...

Oh a crazy world indeed, though when I hear talk of temperature numbers that mean nothing to me, I remember we really are two countries separated by more than a common language! Such a time Adam is having; you all are having. We have friends who too are persevering through the husband's long-term illness. They are both so tired.

I am rubbish at youtube, but I shall make a supreme effort. I do so love hearing your voice - I know you always talked about that with me! I love your unwavering enthusiasm for life, MK. May life in all its fullness be yours and Adam's regardless of everything this crazy world goes on throwing at us all x

Pom Pom said...

I watched the making shampoo bars video until you got to the scary lye part and that made my blood pressure rise. LOL!
You're very relaxed in front of the camera, good teacher!
I'm glad Adam is feeling better.
(BIG HUG for you, dear MK!)

Lisa Richards said...

I have watched at least one (maybe two?) of your recent videos. I try to mark them "Watch Later" so I don't lose track of them. I admire your willingness to learn new things, like making and editing videos! I don't even have to have a broken leg to watch them, lol. The little chicken ladies are really growing up. It's getting down into the 30's at night here, and in the 60's during the day (if we're lucky). Glad to see Adam back at making concrete elephant ears. Praying for more and more good days! :)