Sunday, February 7, 2021

Early Morning in Mississippi

 Good morning. I'm still in Mississippi. Little Ellie Kate had a harder time than we expected, and she's up in Memphis at a NICU in a children's hospital for a bit. She has fluctuating bilirubin, and the doctors are evaluating that. 

Having a sick baby is very hard on parents. Anna was our sick baby, and the stress puts you "through the roof" in a way that other worries just don't. So these young parents are juggling lots of things right now, and Nana is still here to help. I'm holding down the fort with Isaac and enjoying that so much! I didn't expect to have this much time with him by myself, but it's delightful to start building that grandbaby/grandmother bond.


We listen to a lot of classical music. He especially likes live performances where he can watch the conductor waving his arms and the players with their fascinating instruments. We go on walks every day that the weather allows. It's so cold and wet right now! We play with toys and do tickle games, bath time, lots of yummy meals, and reading with Teddy, his favorite friend. We watch little videos of Mommy and Daddy with Ellie Kate, so he knows her when she comes home.



We spend so much of life feeling torn between two things. Between this person and that person, this side and that side, home and work, youth and age -- the list goes on. I love time with Isaac, but I long to be home. That's part of living, and having two places that you love so much is a blessing, is it not? 
I've been a grandmother for a while now, but I've never felt so much like a grandmother as I do now. It feels right: the achy back, the wrinkly skin, the old hands, the sleeping in a strange twin bed in a baby's room. It's all part of it, and I feel so privileged that God has given me this. 

Blessings to all of you out there in blogland!
He loves popcorn! Yay!


7 comments:

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Prayers for the baby, the parents and Grandma!

Granny Marigold said...

How fortunate for everyone that you are there to help out. Plus you get lots of time with that adorable little fellow.
Hopefully Ellie Kate will be well enough to come home real soon.
Take care.

gretchenjoanna said...

It sounds wonderful, the hour-after-hour just being there together and doing everything... getting worn out! The last time I experienced that was when my youngest grandbaby was born and I was taking care of the big brother and on call 24-7 -- I endured, and it was fun! I may never have that experience again... in my family it seems everyone's growing up!

magsmcc said...

Oh, I know what you mean about being torn. I don't support my parents at all as much as would be really beneficial for them, because there is always so much going on here in this house with exam boys learning at home, their own troubles, and just keeping (lots of) food on the table (often). We live a tension. I'm also learning that to live that tension, I need to let go of the tug of war rope and sit properly down to breathe properly in.

That is one happy grandson x

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

GM MK ~ Praying that little Ellie Kate will soon be able to go home. Praying for her parents also. ~ You do look like you are enjoying yourself and your bonds are growing stronger. ~ Pretty soon, you'll be back home with Adam. ~ Love, hugs and prayers for all of you ~ FlowerLady

Retired Knitter said...

What an adorable child. So glad you are getting this time with him. I have been separated from my granddaughter (my only grandchild) since November when the case numbers started to climb. This morning my son sent me a text that said, “I miss grandma.” Broke my heart. She will be 3 this month and I will get to celebrate that event through Zoom. I understand the need for this separation but it is hard just the same. We keep connected as best we can through weekly Zoom meetings with the extended family and Google Duo video calls in between, but there is nothing that can replace a hug.

Henny Penny said...

What an adorable little boy. I hope the new baby will be well and home very soon. Bet you are a wonderful grandma. Sure understand how you feel about being home. Take care. That bowl of popcorn looks delicious!