Friday, February 18, 2022

one word poems

 Margaret (Mags), dear blogging friend, has set me on a rabbit trail of poetry, for which shove I am very, very grateful.

I had stopped writing poetry. No idea why. I assumed it was because I'd aged out of the poetry-writing years of life. It was too much of a struggle, too hard. And the ideas for poems did not come to me as clearly as before. They used to come into my head and stick like a burr and develop themselves until I had to spit them out on paper.

Mags gave me this idea: write a poem each day in February, prompted by one unusual word.

I thought, "Hmm." I read a few of her one-word-prompt writings and liked them very much indeed. I thought, only to myself, "Why not? Why not make a little folder on my desktop and write a poem from each of these little words?" The little words are a list of unusual vocabulary words I gathered nearly 20 years ago while reading Trollope or Goudge, I'm not sure which.

I wrote it on an Elisabeth Elliot newsletter, back before such things came via email. Somehow, I kept it all these years. Miraculously, it was in the first place I searched for it!

I've written a poem most days in February since I started. I told myself I'm writing them ONLY for myself. I do not have to consider a reader. I do not have to consider if it is understood, if it is structured, appealing, tight, edited. Nothing. I spit it out when the word prompt has worked its magic -- i.e., when the word from the list has sparked an image in my head, an idea with an image. Then I write it down and try only not to explain, but to show. Poems that explain things are boring from the first word.

They often end abruptly and look a bit like ee cummings's, but they feel right to me, like good chocolate on my tongue. Perhaps now that I'm old I'm ready to write poetry just for me and not care about the world of readers, rather like wearing flowy gypsy skirts at last. Here's one I think I'll share, short and sweet:

plouter

when I am old enough

to play in mud puddles

big deep mud puddles

bottomless puddles

splashing laughing

in my Sunday shoes

again

then I will know

it’s time to go


2/16/2022

6 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Not surprisingly I had to look up 'plouter'. An apt title for your poem.

annie said...

:) I liked the puddles!
I have never been good at poetry. I have tried from time to time. Thankfully that never amounted to much time. I spared myself the angst.

Lisa Richards said...

Oh, man! I feel that time approaching! ;)

GretchenJoanna said...

Good for you, Mary Kathryn! Mags is inspiring and encouraging, isn't she? I love this image of puddle jumping! I hope I'm on my way in that direction, too.

Kezzie said...

What a fun poem! I love this idea! I wanted to get back into writing poetry too! It's a good idea!

magsmcc said...

You are amazing!