Tuesday, February 1, 2022

A Dusting of Snow

 The first cold weekend, we had ice, a thick slab of ice that didn't melt on our north-facing deck for days. A bit treacherous! This past weekend we had a dusting of snow. It lasted for an hour or two before disappearing in the sunlight.


Leo the Cat has been such fun. He's photogenic.

I've been spinning and painting a little, and finally have started weaving again.


It's too cold to be outside (except to check on chickens), so I am hibernating. Our house is COLD. The heat runs and runs, and we bundle up, but we're still cold. I make pots of hot tea and go to bed early under my heavy comforter.

Poor Adam has to get in the car while it's still dark and drive a half hour to teach all day in the cold. And he doesn't really feel well. But he loves his job! He loves the kids and what he does, and he suffers through the cold, which he loathes. He did get one "ice day" that first weekend, and he used his time at home to start making books again -- books with medieval binding. The first one had a ropey spine, the second one had a simple flat spine, and the third one has a leather-rope spine.


So, we old people are surviving over here. To be honest, our cold weather lasts for about 3 weeks each winter, and by mid-February we are all enjoying daffodils and planting our peas in the garden. We can hardly complain!

Sometimes, it's true, the world seems to spin around us in a frightening way -- people's lives falling apart, world events looking ominous, fussing and fighting. I am trying to silence the din of sorrow with prayer. Prayer and blessing -- Praying for others in their trouble, and asking God to pour blessing into their lives, His favor and His grace.

May you experience our Lord's favor and His grace in your lives too!

9 comments:

Sandi said...

"I am trying to silence the din of sorrow with prayer. Prayer and blessing -- Praying for others in their trouble, and asking God to pour blessing into their lives, His favor and His grace."

This works. Amen along with you!

Granny Marigold said...

Adam's way of binding books looks so interesting!
I hope your weather warms up soon. It's not pleasant feeling cold.

Henny Penny said...

Leo really is a beautiful cat. It looks nice and warm in that sunny spot on the bed. Oh, I am so tired of being cold. Our house stays nice and warm but I still get cold. Got to be old age. I don't how I got to be so old, all of a sudden. Like you, I go out to care for the chickens, well and for me, the goats, and to walk the dogs. You and Adam both are so talented and creative. Always making something. Thank you for praying. Our world sure needs it now.

GretchenJoanna said...

Is it common for houses -- and schools? -- to not be insulated very well, because your "cold snaps" are so brief? When I am cold all day, it makes me think unconsciously that I need to add more fuel to the burners, but that doesn't help! Blankets are good, though...

magsmcc said...

When people say to me, "Can't complain", I always reply, "We can always complain!" Which is true. And you're not old.

Wishing you warmth, physical, emotional, spiritual, tonight and always.regardless of the weather x

annie said...

I have been enjoying your videos & laughed over your Mathilda battle. I have never tried to weave, after hearing you talk about "her", I think I made the right choice!
Looking forward to your trip to visit your Mom. I loved going along with you before! Your weaving is beautiful, I love the blue one, and if I had your sweater I'd wear it every day. I freeze all the time too. I also think Adam did a great job on the dependancy, but if it were mine I'd take the next step and add in a small bathroom & kitchenette. :)
You have no idea how much I have enjoyed your sharing this past year. We surely do need prayer, now :)

GretchenJoanna said...

Ha! What I meant was, adding food to my body's "burners"! But it was hard to tell what kind of stove I was talking about, wasn't it... hee hee

(I'm still having this problem, or these related problems...)

M.K. said...

Annie -- thank you so much for your kind comment, and for watching my videos. I really would like to put a bathroom (or even just a self-composting toilet, with an "outdoor" shower and a small sink) over at the Dependency. Maybe someday. There IS a water spigot just outside the door, but there's no access to the septic system from there. Plans, plans :)
We do all need prayer. Not an easy time to be a human on planet Earth!

Kezzie said...

Ah, yes, prayer is the only thing that makes me feel I can help or not worry about, at the moment!
Your cat is beautiful! xx