Friday, August 7, 2015

Daily Life

In spite of what our world and even our hearts tell us, God tells us repeatedly that we're to live today. Don't waste time rehearsing the sorrows of yesterday. Don't wallow in the glories or the regrets of youth. And don't wear yourself thin with anxiety about the future. Live -- and trust -- just for today.

Jesus said, "Therefore, do not be anxious for tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matt. 6:34

The Lord told Moses, "I will rain bread from heaven for you, and the people shall go out and gather a day's portion every day .... Gather of it every man as much as he should eat ...." He who had gathered much had no excess, and he who had gathered little had no lack. Moses told them, "Let no man leave any of it until morning." But they did not listen to Moses, and some left part of it until morning, and it bred worms and became foul. Ex. 16

Jesus said, "Give us today our daily bread." Matt. 6:11

Jesus told a parable: The land of a certain rich man was very productive. And he began reasoning to himself, saying, "What shall I do, since I have no place to store my crops?" And he said, "This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, 'Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink, and be merry.'" But God said to him, "You fool! This very night your soul is required of you." Luke 12:16-20

Our greatest saints, heroes, and martyrs lived one day at a time. How could they have faced the hard roads God took them down, if they'd lived any other way? It is crushing to the spirit to contemplate the possible sorrows of tomorrow. As Elisabeth Elliot told us, "Do the next thing." Don't try to fix yesterday or insure against tomorrow. Great peace is found in only doing the few things that today requires.

I'm preaching to myself, I hope you know.

8 comments:

Mary Ann Potter said...

Good preachin', M.K.!!!

Beth Ann Zeller said...

...and to me, I do know.

happyone said...

I read that parable at my Bible reading time this morning. : )

Gumbo Lily said...

I like it!
Elisabeth Elliot has been a mentor to me, and her mantra, "Do the next thing," has also become my own mantra. I like to think of the Psalm that says, "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." One step, just a little light for the little path I'm on. Not a flood light.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Very good post M.K. These thoughts no matter how many times we read or hear them, uplift and encourage us to keep trusting in Jesus. He IS working all things out. He IS our strength when we are weak.

Have a lovely weekend ~ Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

Deborah Montgomery said...

How clear our minds would be if we weren't fretting over yesterday or worrying about tomorrow. The "if onlys" and the "what if's" surely do steal our joy. How peaceful to just live in the present. xo

Lisa Richards said...

This is something we need to hear often. It's so easy to take the burdens back on ourselves...as if we could really handle them better than God. I can hear Chris Christofferson singing softly in the background, "One day at a time, sweet Jesus..." :)

gretchenjoanna said...

Well said. Today, this moment, is a great gift. God is with us in it.