See what I mean? And the pad underneath is antique.
Nasty old drawstring in a nasty old casing (above) and look at the archaic underneath snaps (below)!
I told him I could make a new cover, so we picked out some fabric --
Waverly, which is a decent brand -- a thick, sturdy cotton fabric.
I began by sewing a thin hem all the way around, to stabilize the edge.
Then I sewed a slim elastic all the way around too, folding the hem over it as I went
and pulling the elastic quite tight around the hose and back end, but not so tight on the sides.
I'm quite pleased with how snugly the nose end fits, and to assist that, I added two bands of elastic that run underneath the board. This is some thick, hardy elastic I cut off a new pair of sandals because it made the shoes uncomfortable. But it was perfect for this project.
Not very attractive under there, but we really only care how well it works.
I was so afraid I'd cut the fabric too short and would run out on the other end ... that (you guessed it)
I had too much. I tucked it together and put a fat safety pin on either side.
Adam says he doesn't use that end anyway. Well! So much for that practical sewing!
Just as I was walking out of the fabric department, I saw this stuff, and I simply could not resist!
Now, on to the loom. Here's the scarf I'm making now. That's my sparkly $2 skirt from the thrift store, underneath :)
For the weft I'm using this lovely lavender that I bought
after Christmas at Hobby Lobby.
I'm adding a little accent of this silver yarn that I found at Weaver's Webb,
the sinfully guilty yarn store that sucks you in and spits you out only after
you've emptied your wallet.