Friday, October 27, 2017

Autumn Beauty, Christmas Shopping

Is your weather chilly at last? Ours is. I didn't quite get the heat turned on last night, and it was a four-blanket night! The watercolor above is for my Autumn Journal. 
I'm listening to Christmas music -- John Rutter's Star Carol album on my iTunes :)

Adam has had a hard day. He began by clearing out the back of the garage in preparation for making that space his new concrete-leaf-making studio. It will serve the purpose well. But then he went to finish the repair on our eaves that causes the living room ceiling leak. (He's putting on some special tape, followed by a tar/fiberglass mixture.) While on the ladder, he noticed another leak, a leak from our kitchen sink that was going down the outside of the foundation. (Sigh. Oh, the joys of a cheap fixer-upper.) He is handy at all manner of work, but plumbing is certainly his least favorite. He's spent the afternoon tending to that, with several trips to the hardware store.

We went to the beach yesterday with Beau and Trixie. Here are a few photos:

Trixie went for her first shots today.
The vet says she may well be part Pom.

I knit on the ferry.

 We ate lunch at a well-recommended place: Royal James Cafe in Beaufort on Turner St. We had  peeked in there last year, but decided ... no ... it looks like a bar.
 Well, it is a bar ... but not at 11:00 a.m. I must say, that burger was the best burger I've had in years. I kept mentioning it all day long. A double cheeseburger for $3. Small fries for $2. Can't beat that! They only put onions, mustard, and "chili sauce" on the burgers. Chili sauce is sweet, sauteed onions. It's like the most delectable Krystal burger you've ever dreamt of, for those who grew up with Krystal burgers as I did -- but bigger, moister, yummier.

 I mostly sat in my chair and stared at the sea.
 I've now purchased my Christmas books! Here they are:
 The Silmarillion was supposed to be for Adam, because his copy mysteriously disappeared with one of our children departing for college. The day after this one arrived, I saw him walk into his office and return with his own copy! Ah well. He'd bought it at some point, so now we'll have two.
My local Michael's art store no longer sells any watercolor sets with half-pans - a "travel set." But the store in Morehead City still does, so I got one for me for Christmas (from Adam) - with a 40% off coupon :)
 This one has different colors, and more, than my current set, which is running low.
I found this gorgeous cast iron Asian tea pot, brand new, at the local thrift store. It's for Anna (for Christmas, of course). I already showed it to her to make sure she would like it.
 I truly am trying to get Christmas shopping done early, but some family members are so hard to shop for. You know who you are! If you don't want socks again ... you'd better let me know what you need or want.
Keep those autumn lights burning, ladies.
 Dig out your favorite warm socks and sweater, light a candle or three, do whatever creative thing you do, and notice the new slant of light that happens this time of year. Find a nice winter movie, make some popcorn, and snuggle on the couch for the evening.
Bye-bye for now!

5 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Your Christmas books look very interesting! Although I tried to read a Alex. McCall Smith once and never did finish it.
My DH is also quite a fix-it man and plumbing is also his least favourite job.
It's chilly here in the mornings..7C which I think is around 44F. The furnace runs for a little while just to warm the house a bit and if, like today, the sun shines, the house gets toasty warm.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Plumbing was NOT one of my dear husband's favorite handyman projects either. But, he did good jobs when he had to.

We've had a bit of fall weather. It was 56 on Wed. morning, 64 Thursday morning and warmer yesterday. Today rain is expected from a tropical front. I did mow and get some laundry washed and hung out to dry this week, glad I did.

Happy Fall and I thank you for your encouraging emails. :-)

FlowerLady

Lisa Richards said...

The burger looks GREAT! I once had a copy of The Silmarillion but never got around to reading it. I have a problem getting all the names straight in Tolkien's books, so I just cheat and watch the movies. I did read The Hobbit in junior high and started on The Fellowship, but gave up. I was so happy when they made the movies! The Joy of the Snow is one of my all-time favorites! I love autobiographies. I'd like to read The White Witch, also. A new set of watercolors is always exciting. I have too many sets. They should last me a lifetime! I watched The Sound of Music tonight and cried all over the place. My family must have had the soundtrack when I was about 10 because I remember us driving up in the mountains (we lived in Colorado at the time) and singing the songs together, with parts! Love that movie! Looking forward to much hygge-ness this winter. You kids stay warm!

Gumbo Lily said...

That burger and fries looks SOOOOooooo delish! I'm glad you went in! You've been busy about your shopping. I haven't done any yet. I should, but I haven't. I might prepare a list.

The beach looks amazing and the puppies are cute. It's turning cold here now, blustery wind, cold, snow squalls.

Una said...

Lovely doggy photos, and I'm not really a doggy person.
Normally I run a mile from blog posts talking about Christmas shopping. But we are set for a busy one this year...7 people to cook for (including me) and 6 to buy pressies for. I've already started, which is unheard of for October.