Monday, November 27, 2017

To the Morning

The kids have left after Thanksgiving break, and the house returns to its quiet state. I'm in my little studio; Adam is outside gathering mown grass. Philip brought me a turn table. We've listened to Christmas music from old albums I've not heard in decades, L.P.s my parents had when I was very young.

But this morning the house is mine alone, and I pulled out the music I've been longing to hear.
I've studied the older generations, and now I study the younger ones, and I'm convinced we folk who grew up in the 1970's have a slightly different view of life. Neither my parents nor my children seem to understand my love of folk music, its gentle voices and strings and heart-wrenching lyrics. I miss Dan Fogelberg. My favorite of his albums is his first, Home Free. My favorite song on it is the first, "To the Morning." The thin violins fading in like the glow before sunrise. The simplest of melodies, the most innocent of lyrics.
And it's going to be a day,
There is really no way to say no to the morning.
Come on morning.

As I lowered the needle onto the vinyl and heard the scratchiness meld into the violins, and then his voice, it brought back my youth, and I missed it in spite of its unhappiness. In the midst of the unhappiness, and helping to overcome its emotions, was the music of my youth. With my friends I listened to Abba or Barry Manilow or Chicago. But in the privacy of my room I listened to Fogelberg and Joni Mitchell, sometimes Art Garfunkel. From them I learned all my complicated harmonizing abilities.

Dan Fogelberg is dead now, dead in this dead world at least, but I think very alive in the next. He was only 21 years old when his first album came out. He died of prostrate cancer at age 56. His words seep in and grow deeper as I age.
And maybe there are seasons,
And maybe they change,
And maybe to love is not so strange.

The sounds of the day, now they hurry away,
Now they are gone until tomorrow,
When day will break, and you will wake,
And you will rake your hands across your eyes,
And realize that it's going to be a day.

Perhaps that's as good as description of death as any -- a new sunrise, a new beginning, inescapable. Not the ending sunset but a new day with its brightness.

Christmas music will have to wait until I've reunited with these old friends. 
And a few others. I know my parents will remember these covers:
 

 



9 comments:

Pom Pom said...

How fun! I like Dan Fogelberg's voice, too. I've always loved folk music.
It's nice to have a quiet house, isn't it?

Kezzie said...

What a lovely present- it has allowed you to get in touch with your past in such a beautiful way. I really like folk music- my husband is from Northumberland where the folk music tradition is strong. I teach my children about it at school and they seem to like it too!

magsmcc said...

And what a beautiful record player! I had a record of Disney songs that I played over and over and over. I'm sure my family loved it just as much as me...

Granny Marigold said...

That is a very nice turntable! I'm not sure where my records are but we don't have a turntable so it's a moot point. I grew up in the 60's and loved the music of that era. Later I got to listen to various kinds of music as my children grew up. Some I grew to love, some not so much.
( The music, not the kids).

Lisa Richards said...

Ah, yes. Art Garfunkel and James Taylor. I think vinyl is coming back. At least they're manufacturing turntables again. Enjoy the '70's!

Unknown said...

I used to love Joni Mitchell. Not long ago I listened th “The Circle Game” on YouTube and it really got me.

“We can't return we can only look
Behind from where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game.”

Henny Penny said...

Oh wow, I have a turntable just like yours...and a huge album collection. We do have one Dan Fogelberg album.

Carol Blackburn said...

Such a beautiful post, M.K. Reminds me of the quote - "Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak.". William Congreve Have a blessed day!

Ida said...

Dan Fogelberg was one of my favorites too. I loved, Leader of the Band. - I like Folk music as well. I'm also Classic Rock fan.